Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Permission Denied on Websites

Recently I've noticed several websites are denying me permission to while browsing on Safari on my 2022 MacBook Air. For instance, when I try to navigate from the REI homepage I'll get this message, "You don't have permission to access "http://www.rei.com/login?" on this server" followed by a long alpha-numeric code. I've read through several different posts about similar issues but most seem pretty old and I'm not sure how relevant the fixes are. This denial works across my devices (iPad Pro and iPhone 12 Pro) when using Safari. Anyone else having this kind of issue or know a fix?

MacBook Air, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 19, 2023 3:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2023 3:37 PM

That’s typically an error on the website.

If you do have an add-on security app or add-on anti-malware app, or add-on VPN client app, remove all that per the vendors’ instructions, restart, and try again.

Failing that, contact the website maintainers, and report it to them.

3 replies

Jan 13, 2024 11:54 AM in response to KomputerKitty

First-few-hops VPN clients badly solve a problem that hasn’t existed for a decade or so, and badly solves it in a way that best allows personally-identified metadata collection.

If you need to test a CDN or geo-distributed website, they can work, as can running Algo.

For privacy, have a look at iCloud+ Private Relay.

For most uses, first-few-hops VPNs are arguably better considered to be data collection mechanisms, not privacy-enhancing mechanisms.

Jan 13, 2024 10:57 AM in response to 206ski74

For me the problem was the VPN client app on my computer. I had my VPN set to connected in Privacy & Security and it was blocking a lot of sites. I disconnected it restarted my computer and problem solved. Now I only connect the VPN from the VPN client app without it being set to "connected" in Privacy and Settings.

Hope this helps someone else.

Permission Denied on Websites

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.