Safari won’t open

I’ve just upgraded to Monterey 12.6.6 and safari won’t open, as soon as I click the icon I get “Safari quit unexpectedly” click reopen to open the application again doing that clears the screen then displays the same problem page. Never had this problem before can anyone help please

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on May 20, 2023 7:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2023 9:35 AM

Press and hold a Shift key while opening Safari from Applications or the Dock. That action opens Safari without any previously opened windows or tabs with content that may be causing the crash.

Release the Shift key when Safari opens.

14 replies

May 23, 2023 7:26 AM in response to Heliain

If safari is corrupted ( you have to click on finder > Go > hold on option key from the context menu click on library ) , clear contents from folders of caches , cookies , saved application state .

Drag and drop complete safari folder to the desktop , restart the Mac and again open safari and browse .

If the problem still exists follow the article Update to the latest version of Safari - Apple Support

Note : uninstall third party Apps / softwares from Mac .

May 21, 2023 1:41 PM in response to Heliain

This is happening with me too after upgrading to OS 12.6.6

It is the second time it has happened to me after having a software update, last time it took until a software update came through for safari to fix it.

It just gives the "this application cannot be opened on this Mac" as if it thinks it is the old generation, not the current updated one.

May 23, 2023 3:44 AM in response to Stufromoz

Maybe, the icon seemed quite normal but only bounced once and then the problem report came up. However re-installing the OS worked and the subsequent upgrade from 15.6 to 16.5 went without problem. Seems like a Safari screw up in the first attempted upgrade to 12.6.6. A bit academic as I got a way to restore everything to normality.

Ciao

Iain

Safari won’t open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.