Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Screen time ignore limit

What’s wrong with screen time? I use screen time to manage my kids usage of their iPhone/iPad and this feature does not work as expected. It allow them to continue watch beyond the limits. They can ignore the limits…

are you also having the same issue with iOS 16.4.5 and any other version before that?

iPhone XR

Posted on May 20, 2023 7:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 4:08 AM

The screentime limits and website blocking lists are completely useless. Kids can simply ignore limit or add website to the allowed list at a click of a button. Why this would even be included as an option is beyond me (unless they simply want kids to be addicted to their devices...)

Yes I have tried all the 'solutions'. Signed in and out of all devices hundreds of times. Wasted hours of my life. Looking at the comments it has been a problem for years.

Completely pathetic from Apple.

35 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2023 4:08 AM in response to pdmc123

The screentime limits and website blocking lists are completely useless. Kids can simply ignore limit or add website to the allowed list at a click of a button. Why this would even be included as an option is beyond me (unless they simply want kids to be addicted to their devices...)

Yes I have tried all the 'solutions'. Signed in and out of all devices hundreds of times. Wasted hours of my life. Looking at the comments it has been a problem for years.

Completely pathetic from Apple.

Jul 22, 2023 10:40 AM in response to JiuJitsuMom24Boys

For a company as Technical as Apple, parental controls that are intuitive should not be a problem.

The fact that they make it so complex for parents makes me think they have a different agenda. I am a computer scientist, and I know how easy it should be for Apple to provide a simple, intuitive interface for the parents.

As a parent, I am now regretting getting Apple devices for everyone in the family.

Jun 27, 2023 6:04 AM in response to JiuJitsuMom24Boys

There are 2 other ways Screen Time limits can be ignored.

1. If allowed, they can delete an app and then redownload from the App Store to reset the limit. The solution is to not all App downloads or deletions. Go to Content & Privacy Restrictions > iTunes & App Store Purchases. Don't allow "Installing Apps" or "Deleting Apps".
  2. If allowed, then can change the time zone to give them more time. The solution is to first go to Settings > General > Data & Time and make sure it is set to "Set Automatically", then go back into Screen Time and Contents & Privacy Restrictions > Location Services > System Services and make sure "Setting Time Zone" is toggled off. Now tap the Back button and go to the top of the "Locations Services" page and choose "Don't Allow Changes"

Another thing kids are doing is getting your Screen Time Passcode by setting the screen to start recording, then having you put in your PassCode. If you see a flashing red icon in the upper left, then the screen is being recorded. Of course this can be disable in Screen Time too by going to Content & Privacy Restrictions > Content Restrictions and shut off "Screen Recording".

There is also the case of kids resetting their devices to Factory Settings. Currently the best solution to this is to change their Apple ID password and not give it to them. With Find My turned on they would have to enter the password when reset and you would know what they did.

This will not solve all Screen Time problems and there is still more work that needs done.

Jun 1, 2023 6:58 PM in response to JiuJitsuMom24Boys

This solution was offered on a previous support page. I have not had to do it myself, but it may help:

1. Turn off screen time for the device that is needing to be blocked for downtime (childs device)
  2. Make sure all pictures have synced with iCloud or they will be lost (scroll to bottom of photos app to check if any pending) sign out of iCloud on all devices that can either approve screen time requests or have screen time limitations (child and parents)
  3. reset the same devices (not erase content, just reset all settings by going to settings > transfer or reset iPhone > reset > reset all settings)
  4. sign back in to iCloud on all devices
  5. turn screen time back on and set downtime limits
  6. everything should be working normally now and stay as is

Mar 5, 2024 1:31 PM in response to azakmies271

Totally agree about everything said about the screen time UI, pretty shameful that something this important is so bad and disconnected from the reality of parenting kids with devices (and social pressures and hardly any self-control).

Like, why is there not a blacklist option? It's pretty obvious that there are certain apps that a parent might want to block completely. No asking to download, no nothing.

Or here's an other one, instead of "always allowed" how about "only allowed"?

There's also a missed opportunity. Allow the App store to be hidden from a kids device, but offer curated collections of apps that would actually be useful/educational/fun/creative/developmentally suitable for different age groups and installable only by parents. Would be much easier to agree on particular sets of apps among parents/school than the "everyone for themselves" approach going on now.

Screen time ignore limit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.