Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How to Stop Content Cache from Flushing Itself?

I have a 2 TB content cache that takes weeks to warm up enough to be useful. Starting about a week-ish ago, I noticed that every day the size of the cache was being reset, never giving it a chance to get warmed up. Today I found and looked through the logs. It appears that the Content Cache phones home hourly. When it receives a bad response, it flushes the cache. The cache is receiving several 403 errors every day when it phones home, at which point it flushes the cache. This is the most recent example from three hours ago.

Is there any way to stop this from happening?

2023-05-20 09:42:27.951477-0600 0x1c30a3   Error       0x0                  599    21   AssetCache: [com.apple.AssetCache:builtin] Request for registration from https://lcdn-registration.apple.com/lcdn/register failed: HTTP response 403, body "REQUEST_DENIED"
2023-05-20 09:42:27.951498-0600 0x1c30a3   Error       0x0                  599    21   AssetCache: [com.apple.AssetCache:builtin] Registration rejected.
2023-05-20 09:42:27.951501-0600 0x1c30a3   Default     0x0                  599    21   AssetCache: [com.apple.AssetCache:builtin] Flushing cache.
2023-05-20 09:42:27.951806-0600 0x1c30a3   Error       0x0                  599    21   AssetCache: [com.apple.AssetCache:builtin] Server is suspended pending successful registration.  Will re-register in 3300 seconds.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.4

Posted on May 20, 2023 12:00 PM

4 replies

May 21, 2023 6:35 AM in response to martyscholes

martyscholes wrote:

I have a 2 TB content cache that takes weeks to warm up enough to be useful. Starting about a week-ish ago, I noticed that every day the size of the cache was being reset, never giving it a chance to get warmed up. Today I found and looked through the logs. It appears that the Content Cache phones home hourly. When it receives a bad response, it flushes the cache. The cache is receiving several 403 errors every day when it phones home, at which point it flushes the cache. This is the most recent example from three hours ago.

Is there any way to stop this from happening?

server error 403 — The HTTP status code — you don't have permission to access this resource' is displayed when a web server recognizes a user's request but is unable to allow additional access

see if there is anything here:

Set up content caching on Mac

Content types supported by content caching in macOS

Change Content Caching settings on Mac

Advanced content caching settings on Mac

general—https://blog.kandji.io/mac-admins-guide-to-content-caching-and-whats-changing-in-macos-big-sur

no insight or resolve—

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

May 22, 2023 11:05 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for the feedback. I understand what 403 means, but I did not choose the request nor do I control the endpoint. I just ran the logs for the past week which showed 174 connection attempts of which 144 were successful and 33 failed. Whenever the request fails, it flushes the cache (again, not my choice).

I was hoping someone here knew how to:

• Avoid the requests in the first place, or
  • Prevent flushing the cache when the request fails

I can find nothing in the above links or any documentation that explains how to do any of that.

May 29, 2023 8:15 AM in response to martyscholes

I recently realized that this behavior started around the time I installed dual ISPs and a load balancing router. I wonder if Apple throws the error when a cache registers from a different IP address, which would happen occasionally in my setup. Later this week I am replacing the dual ISP setup with a single stronger ISP. It will be interesting to see if the errors stop when I make that change.

How to Stop Content Cache from Flushing Itself?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.