How do I block/stop country genre from playing on my music?

How do I block or stop country from play?

Every time a country song comes up. I select “hear less like this”, but it still keeps coming up. I would think in this day and age I should be able to block certain genres to not come up at all.. come on Apple, this is disappointing that this type of feature isn’t either available or more user friendly to find.

yours truly, frustrated Apple Music listener who wants “Do better” out of apple!

Posted on May 21, 2023 9:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2023 11:14 AM

The question is how to block a genre not on setup, but after you’re a subscriber. I share this frustration and have not found an answer. “Suggest less” seems to just impact that individual song.

I’m surprised if Apple has not thought through this obvious UX need.

13 replies

Dec 27, 2023 7:15 PM in response to Joel Bentz

1000% THIS!

I got Apple Music, and started setting it up on my phone. My roommate turned on the Apple TV, did not know about profiles, and set up what they wanted to listen to. And it has been **** ever since. Despite telling Siri I hate every country artist that pops up, and loving all artists that I do in fact enjoy, my "made for you" features 100% country. It's enough to make me consider walking away and going to Spotify or Pandora.

May 3, 2024 8:15 AM in response to NocountryOnmymusic

Feeling this HARD. Nothing NOTHING irks me MORE than having a most-hated genre of music, COUNTRY, forced upon me with no option to BLOCK IT ALTOGETHER. Love Apple products, but man, they have ruined it for me when it comes to this “anti-blocking” baloney.

i HATE HATE HATE country music (I am being nice here since it is a public forum). HATE it. It literally makes me physically ill. Hey Apple, listen to your subscribers!!! Give us the freedom to block permanently those genres your subscribing community does not like/care for! Please! It cannot be that complicated.

Jan 23, 2024 9:14 PM in response to Raistlin326

I totally agree. Regardless of how much I click "suggest less" on individual rap songs, other raps songs continually appear on play lists and really ruin them for me, and it appears there's no way to block the genre. I have to hunt and peck for specialty playlists (disco, 80s...). It's really inefficient for finding music I want to work out to, and terrible UX. I expect more of Apple.

May 23, 2023 12:02 PM in response to NocountryOnmymusic

Hi NocountryOnmymusic,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities. We understand you'd like to stop Apple Music from playing country music. When you first tapped Listen Now you were given the option to touch and hold music genres you don't care for. This article explains more about this: See recommended music on iPhone - Apple Support.

"Select your favorite genres and artists

When you first tap Listen Now, you’re asked to tell Apple Music about your preferences. Apple Music uses these preferences when recommending music.

1. Tap the genres you like (double-tap those you love, and touch and hold the genres you don’t care for).
  2. Tap Next, then do the same with the artists that appear.

To add a specific artist who isn’t listed, tap Add an Artist, then enter the artist’s name.

Play music

1. Tap Listen Now, then tap a playlist or album.
  2. Tap Play, or tap Shuffle to shuffle the playlist or album.

You can also touch and hold a playlist or album, then tap Play.

Play songs from an artist’s catalog

Go to an artist page, then tap the Play button next to the artist’s name.

The Music app plays songs from the artist’s entire catalog, mixing hits and deep cuts.

Add favorite artists

Go to an artist page, then tap the Favorite button at the top of the screen.

When you mark an artist as a favorite, they appear under Favorite Artists in For You, and their music is recommended more often. You can also choose to receive notifications when they release new music.

Tell Apple Music what you love

Do any of the following:

• Touch and hold an album, playlist, or song, then tap Love or Suggest Less Like This.
  • On the Now Playing screen, tap the More button, then tap Love or Suggest Less Like This.

Telling Apple Music what you love and dislike improves future recommendations.

Discover your most-played music of the year

For every year you’re subscribed to Apple Music (and listen to enough music to become eligible), Apple Music creates a Replay personal chart, ranking the songs you’ve played the most. Find a playlist for each year you’ve been a subscriber by tapping Listen Now, swiping up to Replay: Your Top Songs by Year, then tap a year. You can also find deeper insights into your listening throughout the year at replay.music.apple.com. See the Apple Support article How to get your Apple Music Replay.

Rate music in your library

1. Go to Settings  > Music.
  2. Turn on Show Star Ratings.
  3. In Music, touch and hold a song in your library, tap Rate Song, then choose a rating from one to five stars.

Song ratings sync to all devices that use the same Apple ID.

This option appears only if you already have star ratings from a synced library on your device.

Tell Apple Music to ignore your listening habits

If you don’t want your followers on Apple Music to see any of the music you play, follow these steps.

1. Go to Settings  > Music.
  2. Turn off Use Listening History.

Turning off your listening history impacts new music recommendations and the contents of Replay playlists."

It sounds like you're doing the right thing by selecting "Suggest Less Like This". If you have feedback for Apple about this, we recommend leaving feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple.

Take care.

Apr 7, 2024 6:10 AM in response to NocountryOnmymusic

Apple this is inexcusable that you can’t block genres or types of music or song specifically when Siri cannot, under any circumstances, no matter what I do, understand what I’m asking it to play. Even if I give it the title that Apple Music gives it and the subject that Apple Music gives it it will not play. instead of playing children’s music that I ask it to play it decides to play gangster rap endlessly. I’ve never asked for gangster rap. I don’t like gangster rap. I don’t ever wanna hear it. I don’t wanna on my phone. Language is fine. I want to hear what I wanna hear not what Apple Music wants me to hear because it needs to be diverse in some garbage way . That’s not what I’m interested in …and language doesn’t bother me. It’s situations that bother me. I don’t want to hear violent gangster rap when I’m in the car with my kids and ask to hear the Bluey soundtrack. Come on get your shirt together.

[Edited by Moderator]

How do I block/stop country genre from playing on my music?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.