Hub Options

The crazy thing about the Home App update is that it requires me to use a newer Apple TV or a HomePod as a hub. Meanwhile, my $4k M1 laptop nor my $2k Apple Studio Display are neither capable of functioning this simple task. What’s up with that??

HomePod (2nd generation)

Posted on May 21, 2023 9:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2023 1:37 PM

I’m not entirely clear on what you’re saying. It sounds like you don’t have a Hub (no Apple TV, no HomePod?)

You don’t need the very latest Apple TV to use as a Hub or to be on the new home architecture upgrade.

Upgrade to the new Home architecture - Apple Support

A HomePod Mini would be the cheapest option if you wanted to buy a Hub.

Set up your HomePod, HomePod mini, Apple TV, or iPad as a home hub - Apple Support - disregard iPad, as mentioned it can no longer be a hub once the architecture upgrade has been done.

I don’t know the answer as to why Apple decides which devices can be Hubs. Try not to confuse Hubs with the Home App. For example , the iPad, Mac, Apple Watch and an iPhone can still use the Home App but they can’t be “hubs”. And again this upgrade is not a software update as in iOS, tvOS or MacOS. It’s a separate, optional upgrade performed in the Home App that affects every device. Devices not able to update to the latest software lose being able to use the Home App. once the architecture upgrade has been done.

Your Mac needs to be running on MacOS Ventura

macOS Ventura is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

It’s hard to explain!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2023 1:37 PM in response to dcrowder1

I’m not entirely clear on what you’re saying. It sounds like you don’t have a Hub (no Apple TV, no HomePod?)

You don’t need the very latest Apple TV to use as a Hub or to be on the new home architecture upgrade.

Upgrade to the new Home architecture - Apple Support

A HomePod Mini would be the cheapest option if you wanted to buy a Hub.

Set up your HomePod, HomePod mini, Apple TV, or iPad as a home hub - Apple Support - disregard iPad, as mentioned it can no longer be a hub once the architecture upgrade has been done.

I don’t know the answer as to why Apple decides which devices can be Hubs. Try not to confuse Hubs with the Home App. For example , the iPad, Mac, Apple Watch and an iPhone can still use the Home App but they can’t be “hubs”. And again this upgrade is not a software update as in iOS, tvOS or MacOS. It’s a separate, optional upgrade performed in the Home App that affects every device. Devices not able to update to the latest software lose being able to use the Home App. once the architecture upgrade has been done.

Your Mac needs to be running on MacOS Ventura

macOS Ventura is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

It’s hard to explain!

May 21, 2023 10:32 PM in response to dcrowder1

Hubs have always been Apple TV, HomePods and previously an iPad. The upgrade has not changed anything with Macs or Studio Displays etc because they were never used for Hubs. The only thing that might change for other devices is if the software isn’t the latest; the home App can’t be used in older software. Hubs and Home App aren’t the same thing,

May 22, 2023 3:09 AM in response to Vancouver22

I could previously just be on the same Wi-Fi as my devices and have the ability to turn them on and off as needed. This is no longer the case with the update.

I think my pain point is more about the bits and bobs (or sheer number of devices) I need to run pretty basic functions when I have equipment that should be able to do those functions already. I previously almost bought an iPad (that I have no use for) just to have a hub (which would’ve been an excessively expensive solve). But now iPads can no longer function as a hub, (that would’ve been frustrating). Why wouldn’t a laptop or the Studio Display be able to function as a hub itself?

More simply put, is there specific tech inside of HomePods and Apple TVs that allow them to function as hubs? Or is it more of a function of software that could simply be written into laptops and Displays and updated?

Hub Options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.