Latest 13.4 update broke h264 codec.

right after updating, I can't use h264 100fps files from my Sony camera. files works on vlc but not on QuickTime/Final Cut/DaVinci Resolve

50/25 fps works.

I don't want to downgrade os as I have so many softwares and small kinks to install it will take me days to do so.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.4

Posted on May 22, 2023 1:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2023 2:33 AM

also I see other users start to experience this issue. this will affect a lot of videographers if it won't get fixed ASAP

right now it's impossible to work with this files.

FCP 120fps footage shows black - Apple Community

Sony 100 fps and 120 fps XAVC-S 10-bit 4:… - Apple Community

Similar questions

7 replies

May 22, 2023 4:03 AM in response to RothVideos

This is pretty standard behaviour with Apple updates. If you have any critical functionality, especially involving 3rd party products, you need to have a "burner" or testing system where you apply those latest updates. Then, when (not if) it breaks, you can continue to use your production system until the problem gets fixed. Don't upgrade your production system until you have absolute confidence that the version you have been testing will meet your requirements.

This likely means double the hardware and software costs. It won't cost you that much in time, but it will require extra effort to apply updates and test on a regular basis.

May 22, 2023 3:18 PM in response to etresoft

I'm sorry, but this solution doesn't make any sense, apple has infinite amount of budget, they charge a lot for their products. they should properly test their updates.

specially when their costumers are people who use this products for their main income.

I shouldn't buy another product just for the safety of bugs? that sounds completely out of common sense.

this issue is not small, it will eventually affect every videographer that works in the industry and won't let them work. its a HUGE issue, I can't say it enough.

May 22, 2023 4:24 PM in response to dialabrain

my solution right now is to convert the footage using HandBrake - its painfully slow though, it took me a full day of rendering to do so. a huge waste of time. I can't downgrade because I have so many settings and softwares installed, it will take me days to bring it all back. I did post feedback, but I think for them to actually listen and acknowledge that there's a problem will need a lot of reports from a lot of users.

May 22, 2023 7:03 PM in response to RothVideos

RothVideos wrote:

I'm sorry, but this solution doesn't make any sense

You may not like it, but it makes perfect sense. Why wouldn't you have a backup system? What if you have a fire? Or theft? Or accident? Or just mechanical failure? All devices have to be replaced eventually.

apple has infinite amount of budget, they charge a lot for their products. they should properly test their updates.

I agree that testing isn't Apple's priority. However, software development is not a case where one can simply convert cash to well-tested, reliable software. It's much more complicated.

specially when their costumers are people who use this products for their main income.

You are an active participant here. You applied the update to your production system. You didn't have to do that, but you did. Apple has to keep the musical chairs going or everything comes crashing down. People are addicted to updates. Breaking an addiction isn't easy or inexpensive.

I shouldn't buy another product just for the safety of bugs? that sounds completely out of common sense.
this issue is not small, it will eventually affect every videographer that works in the industry and won't let them work. its a HUGE issue, I can't say it enough.

It's not really a value judgement. Common sense is irrelevant. You now know Apple's behaviour. It was no secret before, you just hadn't been bitten yet.

You can say it as many times as you want. If you need this functionality, where are you going to get it? You could go to the store today and get it. You can certainly make an argument that you shouldn't have to do this. I'm not saying it's right. I'm just saying it is the cost of doing business in the modern world. You can budget for and pay the cost, or pay the consequences. Your choice.

Latest 13.4 update broke h264 codec.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.