User Profile Settings

I am a newbie, both to this forum and to Macs. I recently purchased a silicon Mac Studio, running the latest vesion of Ventura.

The Mac is excellent, but I have stumbled across a problem which has defeated me ... at the moment.

I wanted to use Crossover so I could continue to use Family Historian (I am a genealogy fan).

I installed it and then installed Family Historian in its own bottle and that was where the fun started.

Crossover accepted everything, but did not update its Home page. It kept on showing the default "No application in this bottle" text - this in spite of it recording everything in the software installation window in the bottom RH corner. Every time I wanted to run up FH (which, within Crossover's limits, was OK), I had to generate a run command manually. The button to create a launcher was simply ignored.

After a lot of fiddling around, I decided to create a new User Profile, went though all of the installation processes, loaded FH into a bottle and BINGO! everything worked as it should.

I know I could just move everything to the new profile, but in my experiance, an ignored problem often returns later to bite you on the bum! Besides, it ain't working as it should and that offends my tidy mind.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

The first thing that leapt to mind was User Profile settings.

How do you examine them on a Mac? I can't find any info on either changing or examining them.

Help?

Mac Studio

Posted on May 22, 2023 3:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2023 7:32 AM

Turnhouse wrote:

I am a newbie, both to this forum and to Macs. I recently purchased a silicon Mac Studio, running the latest vesion of Ventura.
The Mac is excellent, but I have stumbled across a problem which has defeated me ... at the moment.
I wanted to use Crossover so I could continue to use Family Historian (I am a genealogy fan).
I installed it and then installed Family Historian in its own bottle and that was where the fun started.
Crossover accepted everything, but did not update its Home page. It kept on showing the default "No application in this bottle" text - this in spite of it recording everything in the software installation window in the bottom RH corner. Every time I wanted to run up FH (which, within Crossover's limits, was OK), I had to generate a run command manually. The button to create a launcher was simply ignored.
After a lot of fiddling around, I decided to create a new User Profile, went though all of the installation processes, loaded FH into a bottle and BINGO! everything worked as it should.
I know I could just move everything to the new profile, but in my experiance, an ignored problem often returns later to bite you on the bum! Besides, it ain't working as it should and that offends my tidy mind.
How do you examine them on a Mac? I can't find any info on either changing or examining them.

Help?

I would verify your third party apps are up to date...

if in doubt search the developers website or contact their: Support/Help/FAQ/Known issues/compatibility/updates

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

Help | CrossOver Support

https://www.family-historian.co.uk/support/support-overview

https://www.family-historian.co.uk/support/pre-sales-questions

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2023 7:32 AM in response to Turnhouse

Turnhouse wrote:

Help?

I would verify your third party apps are up to date...

if in doubt search the developers website or contact their: Support/Help/FAQ/Known issues/compatibility/updates

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

Help | CrossOver Support

https://www.family-historian.co.uk/support/support-overview

https://www.family-historian.co.uk/support/pre-sales-questions

User Profile Settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.