I opened an attachment on a scam email

I opened an attachment on my MacBook Pro from a scam amazon email. How can I check for Malware? What do I need to do to make sure my computer is safe?

Thanks

Posted on May 22, 2023 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2023 3:25 PM

Provided you did not divulge any personal information (names, passwords, email addresses, Amazon login credentials etc) then no other action is necessary or justified.

If you did provide information of that nature to a scam website then you need to regain control of your login information. Change your passwords, etc. But as long as you did not do that, don't make things worse by installing something claiming to check your Mac for malware. Doing that would open the door to a whole new world of hurt.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2023 3:25 PM in response to Arizona Sunshine State

Provided you did not divulge any personal information (names, passwords, email addresses, Amazon login credentials etc) then no other action is necessary or justified.

If you did provide information of that nature to a scam website then you need to regain control of your login information. Change your passwords, etc. But as long as you did not do that, don't make things worse by installing something claiming to check your Mac for malware. Doing that would open the door to a whole new world of hurt.

I opened an attachment on a scam email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.