Fake notification or not?

I have started receiving virus threat notifications about my iCloud and System being infected by McAfee. How they would know this, is a mystery to me. I have Avira security which hasn't detected anything unusual. Is this a scam or for real?

Posted on May 22, 2023 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2023 11:01 PM

You don't need any anti virus / or cleaner that is installed in Mac , click on finder > applications select them and move to trash , restart the Mac and empty the trash .

See Install and uninstall apps from the internet or a disc on Mac - Apple Support 

Also , clear all history and website data Clear your browsing history in Safari on Mac - Apple Support 

If you are using safari for browsing , click on the url link and use the settings as per screen shot .

See the articles Change Websites settings in Safari on Mac - Apple Support 

Customise settings for each website in Safari on Mac - Apple Support 

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2023 11:01 PM in response to davidfromhanson

You don't need any anti virus / or cleaner that is installed in Mac , click on finder > applications select them and move to trash , restart the Mac and empty the trash .

See Install and uninstall apps from the internet or a disc on Mac - Apple Support 

Also , clear all history and website data Clear your browsing history in Safari on Mac - Apple Support 

If you are using safari for browsing , click on the url link and use the settings as per screen shot .

See the articles Change Websites settings in Safari on Mac - Apple Support 

Customise settings for each website in Safari on Mac - Apple Support 

Fake notification or not?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.