Apple tv remote app for iphone

The iphone remote app for apple tv has recently decided to mot connect. After closing and opening the app and restarting the apple tv it worked for a short term. The phones are on ios 16.5 and the apple tv 4k is on 16.4.1. Where is the glitch?

Posted on May 22, 2023 9:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2023 10:25 AM

The remote app was discontinued quite some time ago, and replaced with the one included in control centre (so you may want to try there instead). Apple TV was also updated to 16.5 so make sure you apply that as well. If you still encounter issues try rebooting your router along with the phone and Apple TV, if it still persists contact Apple support.

Set up the Apple TV Remote on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (CA)

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2023 10:25 AM in response to Carlwein

The remote app was discontinued quite some time ago, and replaced with the one included in control centre (so you may want to try there instead). Apple TV was also updated to 16.5 so make sure you apply that as well. If you still encounter issues try rebooting your router along with the phone and Apple TV, if it still persists contact Apple support.

Set up the Apple TV Remote on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (CA)

May 27, 2023 12:47 AM in response to vazandrew

I think the dude is talking about the control center remote. Same problem here. I have set up my iPhone remote with Apple TV 4K almost a year ago and it worked just fine. But since a couple of weeks it does not find the Apple TV. I restart the phone and it works fine but the next time I try to control my Apple TV with my iPhone, it does not find the Apple TV again. It is very annoying

Jun 2, 2023 2:37 PM in response to vazandrew

I was mistaken about the remote being fixed. The remote on the iphone will usually not connect unless I first connect airplay, which always connects, then reopen the apple tv remote. Then I may have one response or the remote might remain operational. A problem remains in the intermittent synapses between the iphone and the apple tv 4k. My old generation 1 apple tv seems unaffected by this glitch.

Aug 20, 2023 11:01 AM in response to Carlwein

Same issue. I constantly have to keep re-telling it which Apple TV to connect to (only have one) and sometimes it doesn’t connect at all, and I have to reboot the box. Started happening maybe 6 months ago, about the time others started reporting this- same problem on my husband’s iPhone, and now the same problem on my new iPhone 14. Sounds like they screwed something up probably in an iOS update and haven’t bothered to fix it yet.

Oct 4, 2023 7:21 PM in response to Carlwein

I’m having the same issue. I have checked both devices for updates, I have ensured they’re on the same network, I have rebooted both items and my WiFi router. I have even contacted Apple, however we were disconnected and I never got a call back. My air play works just fine, I can pair my phone with the Apple TV, the original remote is fine, but it will not connect my Apple Remote from the control center on my phone to my Apple TV. It continually says searching like it can’t find it. I am open to any suggestions or if it’s an update issue to know that I’m not alone lol thanks for your time!

Mar 24, 2024 5:11 PM in response to Carlwein

I'm also having this problem. We have 5 iphones in our household and I only have this problem with 1 phone. I have tried factory resetting, but it still experiences the same issue. If I reboot the iPhone it seems to work for a while and then goes back to not working. This certainly seems like a bug. I know there is no issue on my network. I confirmed via packet capture that traffic is flowing between the affected iphone and the apple tv.

Apple tv remote app for iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.