can i download an older os version on my old ipad so i can use the backup to activate my new one

VCan I return my old iPad to an older os version

iPad Pro (5th generation)

Posted on May 23, 2023 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2023 2:15 PM

No.

If the backup was created from a version lower than or equal to that on the new iPad, restore it as is.

If the backup was created from a version higher than that on the new iPad, set it up as a new device, update it, erase it, and set it up again.

(239878)

2 replies

May 23, 2023 2:30 PM in response to Pamalar72

Rolling-back to an earlier version of iOS/iPadOS is not possible.

All System Updates are digitally signed by Apple - and can only be installed whilst the digital signatures remain valid. After release of a new iOS/iPadOS version, the immediately preceding version continues to be digitally signed by Apple - however, usually within a few days, Apple will revoke the digital certificate with which the earlier version is signed.

While rolling back simply isn’t possible, neither should it be necessary. A backup of an iOS/iPadOS device can be restored to a device that has the same or later version of iOS/iPadOS. Given that your new device will almost certainly have a more recent the equivalent OS installed, your existing backup should be fully usable.

can i download an older os version on my old ipad so i can use the backup to activate my new one

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.