Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Is it possible to do a complete re-install of iOS 10.3 on an old iPad?

Hi there,

I have an old iPad running iOS 10.3.3

How do I do a re-install of the iOS (not a factory reset)?

I've backed up my iPad and now want to re-install the iOS such that the old iOS is deleted and a freshly downloaded iOS 10.3.3 is downloaded and installed. A factory reset (to me) seems to just want to erase all content and reset settings but does not actually download a 10.3.3 iOS.

Is it possible to reset the iPad so that it wipes out old content and downloads and re-installs the most current version of iOS that is compatible with this iPad?

Or maybe, can I download an official iOS version for my iPad (model MD515LL/A) and restore to that?

Thank you... Maz

iPad, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 16, 2023 7:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2023 11:17 AM

I have never needed to do that but from the documentation it is as you describe.

This support article outlines the various ways you can back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch --> How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Backup methods for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - general comparison of using Finder/iTunes vs. iCloud - Backup methods for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2023 11:17 AM in response to Maz K

I have never needed to do that but from the documentation it is as you describe.

This support article outlines the various ways you can back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch --> How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Backup methods for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - general comparison of using Finder/iTunes vs. iCloud - Backup methods for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Sep 16, 2023 9:19 AM in response to Limnos

Hi Limnos,

Thank you for your reply.

Can I just confirm then... if I use my Mac to do a factory restore, will it erase data and then download the latest version of iOS available for my iPad and then do a reset using that? And then, with the backup I have just made, I can restore the data I had such as pics, apps, and other relevant info?

Thanks, Maz

Sep 16, 2023 1:25 PM in response to Maz K

Ok - so I managed to do a re-install where it downloaded iOS 10.3.3 so that was good.

Some apps were lost because the backup that iTunes says it does, does not back up the apps, it backs up information on the apps that are installed. Therefore, what this means is that, unfortunately, any apps that are no longer in the App Store will fail to restore to the iPad so I've lost some pretty important apps that I regularly used. There were some apps that came up with the 'last available version' but these were still available and downloaded ok. Anyway.... at least I've re-installed the iOS and still got the majority of my apps and all my data/photos etc.

Thanks for your help in this...

Maz

Is it possible to do a complete re-install of iOS 10.3 on an old iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.