iPad Black screen of death

the iPad I bought in 2019 now has the black screen of death. I am so careful with it. It has never fallen or been dropped.

[Edited by Moderator]

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on May 23, 2023 7:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2023 7:40 AM

I have a iPad 7th gen. Sits on my counter in a stand and has never been dropped. I downloaded the latest update (17). Two days later I got the black screen. Would not respond to any attempt to restart. Took it to repair shop and installed a new battery. Worked for 2 days and black screen again. Took it to a different repair shop. No one seems to be able to fix it. Apple wants $249 to fix it. I can buy a new one for that amount. Apparently iPads are built to throw away after 3-4 years. What a waste.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2023 7:40 AM in response to SuckeredByApple

I have a iPad 7th gen. Sits on my counter in a stand and has never been dropped. I downloaded the latest update (17). Two days later I got the black screen. Would not respond to any attempt to restart. Took it to repair shop and installed a new battery. Worked for 2 days and black screen again. Took it to a different repair shop. No one seems to be able to fix it. Apple wants $249 to fix it. I can buy a new one for that amount. Apparently iPads are built to throw away after 3-4 years. What a waste.

May 24, 2023 2:53 AM in response to SuckeredByApple

If your iPad is unresponsive, connect your iPad to its Power Adapter and allow the iPad to charge, undisturbed, for at least an hour - or possibly overnight. Then, while still connected to external power, try a forced-restart:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

If iPad still doesn’t turn on, or if it gets stuck during start up, see the Apple Support article If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t turn on or is frozen. Or if your iPad isn’t working correctly after you restart it, see the iPad Support website.

If you continue to experience difficulties, you will need to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Feb 11, 2024 7:00 AM in response to SuckeredByApple

Well this sucks, I posted a comment and then it times me out and made me sign in again - post gone.

Short version: problem is software in one of the IOS 16 versions - need to install 17 to solve it. But with the black screen you can’t do anything. To solve that, I tried the press and hold quick up button, down button and then press and hold on the top with no results. Did it many times using different lengths of pressing. Went to Apple Store and staff did the same thing which worked immediately. Installed IOS17 and supposedly all will be well now. I now remember a similar issue with my Iphone13Pro last year, same fix. Seems like Apple should be able to fix their software in the first place?

Mar 4, 2024 11:44 AM in response to Pmpearson

This just started happening to my 12.9 ipad pro 4th gen, I had a lot of people tell me it was possibly a loose display connector...

For me it started out just once every once in a while on the lock screen, but it got progressively worse and now its so bad it does it all the time... And yesterday suddenly on mine the LCD wouldnt come on at all for an entire hour. I could unlock the ipad and use it, but just with an entirely black screen. I rebooted and hard booted multiple times, the touch screen, backlight, speakers, faceID and everything else works, but the LCD just shows nothing but black... Then out of the blue with no input from me it just popped back on.

But I am on iPadOS 16, so I'm going to try updating to 17 next to see if that perhaps solves it. I assumed hardware issue but who knows.

Apr 19, 2024 3:34 PM in response to SuckeredByApple

iPad 4th generation: never dropped or treated roughly. Started getting the black screen issue after updating in last month. Never had this problem before. Can do the hard reset however that isn’t a great fix. I now keep it plugged in constantly and do not have it shut down with magnetic cover, also took off night shift & auto lock. It’s not the battery as it can maintain battery when I use it unplugged for quite a few hours. I totally believe this is an Apple flaw and they need to fix it.

iPad Black screen of death

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.