Broken Keyboard Help

I have just recently bought a 2nd hand, refurbished Macbook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports), earlier I was trying to fix a sticking issue with my space bar, I followed a tutorial to take the key off as I thought there was maybe a crumb or something under there, but now I cannot get the key back on at all.

I researched how to fix this and came across the Keyboard Service Program Apple does due to all the trouble with the butterfly keyboards. I am wondering if I will be eligible for this? (I am in the UK in case that changes anything?) And whether it is based on the first sale of the model or the first sale of this exact device?

Or if anyone could help me on how to put the key back on.

The plastic sheet under the key cap is ripped (I have seen mixed answers online about whether this makes it so I can or can’t get the key back on) but other than that everything seems fine, I believe. The 'clasps' click onto the metal bar in the key, it is just the other side that looks like very tiny hooks that I can't get to attach anywhere and stay in.

Any help is appreciated, thank you 😊

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on May 23, 2023 8:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2023 9:12 PM

If you want to look at getting the device repaired I would recommend contacting an apple support representative here: Contact — Official Apple Support (AU)

This page will help to check if your device is still under warranty Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

In regards to if you would be eligible for a repair under the Keyboard Service Program I would highly suggest reaching out to a representative to get an accurate answer, however as the issue is that the key has been removed by yourself I find it likely that they will decline to fix the device regardless of its warranty status. Again it is still always worth a try.

Apple keyboard keys are not generally designed to be easily removable and generally if they are removed then they are permanently detached from the internals which is why you are likely not able to reattach the key.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2023 9:12 PM in response to e_0819

If you want to look at getting the device repaired I would recommend contacting an apple support representative here: Contact — Official Apple Support (AU)

This page will help to check if your device is still under warranty Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

In regards to if you would be eligible for a repair under the Keyboard Service Program I would highly suggest reaching out to a representative to get an accurate answer, however as the issue is that the key has been removed by yourself I find it likely that they will decline to fix the device regardless of its warranty status. Again it is still always worth a try.

Apple keyboard keys are not generally designed to be easily removable and generally if they are removed then they are permanently detached from the internals which is why you are likely not able to reattach the key.

Broken Keyboard Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.