Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

safari websites reloading?

ever since I updated from Ventura 13.3.1 to 13.3.1 (a) I've been seeing this message:

this is happening on my 2019 27 inch iMac. it has continued into 13.4. there is no pattern as to when or why it happens. sometimes it might happen 2 to 3 times a day, and sometimes I can go more that 36 hours without it happening. I have not installed any new software in a long time other than the two updates of Ventura. I booted into safe mode for about 10 minutes and rebooted normally to try that, but the issue persists. anyone have any ideas?

iMac 27″, macOS 13.4

Posted on May 24, 2023 1:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2023 6:53 PM

Don't think there is an Apple Support document specifically for it. If anything, I'd start with basic HTML web page and Javascript coding, which isn't all that difficult. Using the web inspector is actually fairly intuitive, but you will quickly find out the most complex and resource-demanding page elements are those designed to grab your attention: interest-based, targeted advertisements and tracking. That's how programmers get paid. Unfortunately the more attention-grabbing, the more they are prone to errors. It's a dysfunctional system.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2023 6:53 PM in response to jeffreythefrog

Don't think there is an Apple Support document specifically for it. If anything, I'd start with basic HTML web page and Javascript coding, which isn't all that difficult. Using the web inspector is actually fairly intuitive, but you will quickly find out the most complex and resource-demanding page elements are those designed to grab your attention: interest-based, targeted advertisements and tracking. That's how programmers get paid. Unfortunately the more attention-grabbing, the more they are prone to errors. It's a dysfunctional system.

May 24, 2023 3:19 PM in response to jeffreythefrog

It's been my experience the cause is a poorly coded advertisement. So-called "news" sites are by far the worst offenders.

It would require some patient troubleshooting on your part, but sometimes the recalcitrant page element(s) can be identified using the Safari's Develop menu's Web Inspector console. Not that you can do anything about it though.

May 24, 2023 3:45 PM in response to John Galt

that would make sense. but I do not visit any spurious news sites. only reputable sites, like CTV News and CBC News, along with Yahoo Canada and MSN Canada. and it is also happening on other sites that I have been using for years without this issue occurring. I have never had this issue before. it only started after the two aforementioned Ventura updates. I'm not sure what trouble shooting I could do, but I'm open to any ideas.

May 24, 2023 3:55 PM in response to jeffreythefrog

Your definition of "reputable" differs from mine 😄

I can't really describe how to use the Web Inspector, but it's not really intended for anyone other than the website's developer — and they're almost always clueless. They often claim total ignorance when it comes to advertisements, even though they're the ones ultimately responsible for the material they host.

In most cases the problem goes away when the guilty parties eventually change their page code.

You could try content blockers but I don't use any and don't have anything in particular to recommend. Even if you do, content blockers themselves can cause the very problem you're experiencing.

May 24, 2023 4:02 PM in response to jeffreythefrog

By the way the "webpage was reloaded" status message is an improvement over previous Safari versions, which would terminate the entire page given a common error such as self-referencing page element. Now, Safari terminates only the problematic element while loading the rest of the page so you're not just looking at a grey screen (which itself was an improvement over having the page reload endlessly). As such it lets you know the page was reloaded, but you might be interested in knowing not all elements were reloaded. Identifying the specific element is where the Develop menu can be useful.

May 24, 2023 4:06 PM in response to John Galt

yeah, I guess there are those who don't trust MSN or Yahoo. but CBC and CTV are very trusted up here in Canada. and it is happening across most other sites as well with no rhyme or reason. and again I have never had this issue on any websites in the past at all. I don't use nor want to try any content blockers. I guess I'll just send apple some feedback and keep my fingers crossed. even though sending feedback is useless unless they receive like 100,000 similar reports. for now, I will leave this question open.

safari websites reloading?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.