Factory resetting computer

I have erased all the data from Macintosh HD and I went to go reinstall macOS High Sierra but every time I click continue " The recovery server could not be contacted" and will not let me move past that to reinstall. I bought this computer off someone but they did not wipe it clean and I don't have access to the password. How do I get to a factory reset page???

2017 MacBook Air

Posted on May 24, 2023 7:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2023 11:36 PM

If you're encountering the error message "The recovery server could not be contacted" while trying to reinstall macOS High Sierra, there are a few troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Check your internet connection: Ensure that your Mac is connected to the internet properly. You may want to try connecting via a different network or using a wired connection to rule out any network issues.

2. Verify the date and time settings: Incorrect date and time settings on your Mac can cause issues with the recovery server connection.

3. Use a bootable installer: Instead of relying on the recovery server, you can create a bootable installer for macOS High Sierra using another Mac or by using a third-party tool.

4. Erase Drive using Data Erasure Tool: You can try erasing your drive using 3rd party data ensure tools & then try a fresh reinstall of macOS.

5. Contact Apple Support: If the above steps don't resolve the issue, it's advisable to contact Apple Support for further assistance. They can provide guidance and troubleshoot the problem specific to your situation.

Regarding the password issue, if you don't have access to the password for the Mac, it might be necessary to perform additional steps or contact the previous owner to gain the necessary access or authorization

[Link Edited by Moderator]

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2023 11:36 PM in response to Audrey_281

If you're encountering the error message "The recovery server could not be contacted" while trying to reinstall macOS High Sierra, there are a few troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Check your internet connection: Ensure that your Mac is connected to the internet properly. You may want to try connecting via a different network or using a wired connection to rule out any network issues.

2. Verify the date and time settings: Incorrect date and time settings on your Mac can cause issues with the recovery server connection.

3. Use a bootable installer: Instead of relying on the recovery server, you can create a bootable installer for macOS High Sierra using another Mac or by using a third-party tool.

4. Erase Drive using Data Erasure Tool: You can try erasing your drive using 3rd party data ensure tools & then try a fresh reinstall of macOS.

5. Contact Apple Support: If the above steps don't resolve the issue, it's advisable to contact Apple Support for further assistance. They can provide guidance and troubleshoot the problem specific to your situation.

Regarding the password issue, if you don't have access to the password for the Mac, it might be necessary to perform additional steps or contact the previous owner to gain the necessary access or authorization

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Factory resetting computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.