Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Apple ID Icloud ID and carrier unlock

I signed out of the apple ID on the iPhone 7 plus that my mother in law gave me and I went on another phone and made my own apple ID but when I tried to sign in on the iPhone using my info it kept saying there's an error...I have also factory reset the phone to get rid of all information...what do I need to do......also I have a tracfone wireless carrier for my iPhone 7 plus and under General and About and Carrier it says TFW40.0 it doesn't say its locked but when i tried using my new SIM for a different carrier it wouldn't let me

Earlier iPhone models

Posted on May 25, 2023 6:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2023 6:33 AM

Unlock what? Carrier lock or Activation lock or Passcode Lock or Security Lock?

Carrier Lock:- Request your iPhone’s original Carrier to unlock your iPhone and if they agree and do it, then you may know the further process here --> How to unlock your iPhone for use with a different carrier ...

If you are the owner or the owner has shared all information with you then open Activation Lock:- If it is Activation locked, read here --> Turn off Activation Lock - Apple Support Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Learn how to remove a device from a previous owner's account.

If you are not the owner and do not have the Apple ID and Password then there is no way that you can get into this iPhone unless the original owner shares the Apple ID and password with you. If you are lucky you can get into this iPhone if they (the owner) accidentally remove the device from their Apple ID.

Lock Screen Passcode

Following this process is the only way out if your iPhone is disabled. The steps given in this link will help you reset the passcode -> If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your ...

If you see an iPhone or iPad unavailable message or a "Security Lockout" screen

If you forgot your passcode, you can use your Apple ID and password to erase and reset your device without a computer.

Learn what to do if you see "[Device] unavailable" or "Security Lockout" on your iPhone or iPad.)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2023 6:33 AM in response to Ninjapunkinrella

Unlock what? Carrier lock or Activation lock or Passcode Lock or Security Lock?

Carrier Lock:- Request your iPhone’s original Carrier to unlock your iPhone and if they agree and do it, then you may know the further process here --> How to unlock your iPhone for use with a different carrier ...

If you are the owner or the owner has shared all information with you then open Activation Lock:- If it is Activation locked, read here --> Turn off Activation Lock - Apple Support Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Learn how to remove a device from a previous owner's account.

If you are not the owner and do not have the Apple ID and Password then there is no way that you can get into this iPhone unless the original owner shares the Apple ID and password with you. If you are lucky you can get into this iPhone if they (the owner) accidentally remove the device from their Apple ID.

Lock Screen Passcode

Following this process is the only way out if your iPhone is disabled. The steps given in this link will help you reset the passcode -> If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your ...

If you see an iPhone or iPad unavailable message or a "Security Lockout" screen

If you forgot your passcode, you can use your Apple ID and password to erase and reset your device without a computer.

Learn what to do if you see "[Device] unavailable" or "Security Lockout" on your iPhone or iPad.)

May 25, 2023 6:34 AM in response to Ninjapunkinrella

Each Apple device is linked/associated with an Apple ID of the person who did the setup.

The previous owner(= mother in law) has to read -> this Apple article: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch -> What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Then the previous owner (= your mother in law) has to remove the iPhone from his account, see this Apple article:

Check your Apple ID device list to see where you're signed in

Check your Apple ID device list to find where you're signed in - Apple Support

Then you can sign in with your own Apple ID.

Apple ID Icloud ID and carrier unlock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.