Facebook Messenger Links Not Opening on IPad Air

Facebook Messenger Links are taking me to Facebook main page, but not to the linked content on my IPad Air 4th Generation which has been updated to IOS 16.5. However, the Messenger links function correctly on my IPhone 12.

On my IPad I have hard closed both Facebook & Messenger, deleted both apps & reinstalled as well as powered down the device multiple times, but the issue remains unresolved.

Is there some setting that may have been modified during a software update that somehow is preventing the links from functioning properly on the IPad?

Any suggestions on how to correct this issue would be greatly appreciated.

iPad Air (4th generation)

Posted on May 25, 2023 11:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 6:55 PM

Same, log out FB use messenger only, log on Facebook doesn’t work. Fine on my phone. Weird

35 replies

May 25, 2023 1:09 PM in response to MIPeanut

MIPeanut wrote:

Facebook Messenger Links are taking me to Facebook main page, but not to the linked content on my IPad Air 4th Generation which has been updated to IOS 16.5. However, the Messenger links function correctly on my IPhone 12.
On my IPad I have hard closed both Facebook & Messenger, deleted both apps & reinstalled as well as powered down the device multiple times, but the issue remains unresolved.
Is there some setting that may have been modified during a software update that somehow is preventing the links from functioning properly on the IPad?
Any suggestions on how to correct this issue would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.facebook.com/help

May 27, 2023 2:52 PM in response to razmee209

I have found a workaround. If I log out of Facebook on my IPad, then access Messenger, the Messenger links work properly. Not sure why suddenly it’s necessary to log out of Facebook, but at least I can now access the content being sent to me in a Messenger link.

It is very odd that IPhone doesn’t require that I log out of Facebook to access Messenger links.

Oct 5, 2023 8:34 AM in response to MIPeanut

I am having the same issue. The issue is not isolated to my brand new iPad it is also on my old iPad. The new iPad I just updated the IOS to 17.0.3 and the issue is not resolved. I have changed my settings in messenger to open in an external browser and the link tries to open in FB app by only opening FB to the current page or main page if the app is not open. I think it is a FB issue, why, because I develop websites and when opening a web page on an iPad the flow is very different no matter what size iPad I test with the browser reacts differently on each one.

Oct 13, 2023 11:59 AM in response to MIPeanut

Been following this hoping Apple would see it and do a fix. They must want you to buy a new phone since people use that more than an iPad. It’s not right as I prefer an iPad and this problem should be fixed. Very aggravating. I have to resort to screen shots or sending the links through I Message and that doesn’t always work. Why does no one at apple respond to this? Are they really this oblivious?

Facebook Messenger Links Not Opening on IPad Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.