ClamXAv Running Super Slow after Upgrade to 13.4

I have an IMac Pro which I just updated to Ventura 13.4. Now, ClamXAv is unresponsive to commands when running. Has anyone else experienced this recently?

In addition, I am unable to update the AV database, which worked very well before the upgrade?

I suppose I could just uninstall and re-install ClamXAv but I prefer know why, when there is a reason.

Thanks,

GC

Posted on May 25, 2023 1:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2024 6:44 AM

TTWO_Always wrote:

For your interest, I've been running a trial version of Kaspersky's Premium protection and it appears to be working really well. You might like to give it a try if you aren't getting backup from ClamXAV.

Good luck! 😃

Nope! Would not recommend Kaspersky, unless you are comfortable with a Russia controlled antivirus company that has full access to your computer. It is also facing a ban in the US and is not allowed on government computers over these concerns.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/biden-ban-us-sales-kaspersky-software-over-ties-russia-source-says-2024-06-20/

In addition, ClamX has already been caught selling customer data gained through the use of their software.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2024 6:44 AM in response to TTWO_Always

TTWO_Always wrote:

For your interest, I've been running a trial version of Kaspersky's Premium protection and it appears to be working really well. You might like to give it a try if you aren't getting backup from ClamXAV.

Good luck! 😃

Nope! Would not recommend Kaspersky, unless you are comfortable with a Russia controlled antivirus company that has full access to your computer. It is also facing a ban in the US and is not allowed on government computers over these concerns.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/biden-ban-us-sales-kaspersky-software-over-ties-russia-source-says-2024-06-20/

In addition, ClamX has already been caught selling customer data gained through the use of their software.

May 26, 2023 6:50 AM in response to ku4hx

Thank you for your reply. I am the IT department. What I am trying to find out is if anyone else has experienced the same issue that one of my end users is currently dealing with and if so, what was the solution, if any.

With 13.4 being deployed so recently, I'm feeling like I might one of the first to have this is issue. Furthermore, this is a one-off use case. The standard AV used by the company is different than that used on this particular machine.

I cannot change the environment or applications nor can I implement work-arounds. This machine has its purpose and is configured to support that purpose.

If I am the only one experiencing this poor performance, so be it, I will have to experiment on my own, no worries.

Thanks all.

Jun 21, 2024 6:54 AM in response to TTWO_Always

TTWO_Always wrote:

Unless your employer requires such software, don't use it. It does almost nothing useful and can do lots of bad things (see Mac Jim ID's ) recent post.

To learn how to protect your Mac without exposing it to dodgy companies, start here:

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

May 26, 2023 11:48 AM in response to GrumblingCarle

Even if you are not the only one it is important to know that it’s not Apple’s responsibility to make sure third party software continues to work properly after a macOS update. It's up to the developer of the software to make sure it works with the current releases of macOS.

Can we assume you have the very latest version of ClamXav installed? Check with the developer to see if they have other reports of this. If so then ask when you can expect an update to fix things.

ClamXAv Running Super Slow after Upgrade to 13.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.