Messages showing phantom unread message count on Macbook (Messages in iCloud enabled) with no actual unread messages

I saw this post when I was facing the same issue. Cleared messages on my iPhone, but on my MacBook, the iMessage app kept showing the unread messages count even though there were none.

The solution listed in the original post did not work for me, but I found the following to work for the messages app and photos app, which was behaving the same way.

1. Open terminal and then paste this command
killall Dock

2. Right click on messages app -> options -> Remove from dock

3. Open messgaes app again - The unread count should be gone now. You can add it to dock again.

Hope this helps someone out there.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.2

Posted on May 25, 2023 8:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2023 4:24 PM

I am grateful for the answer that uses Terminal. That led me to a simpler solution:

(1) Quit Messages.

(2) Right-click the Messages icon in the Dock and choose Remove from Dock.

(3) Locate Messages in the Applications folder or in the Launchpad and restart Messages.

(4) If you wish, right-click the Messages icon in the Dock and choose Keep in Dock.

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2023 4:24 PM in response to Taha Abbasi

I am grateful for the answer that uses Terminal. That led me to a simpler solution:

(1) Quit Messages.

(2) Right-click the Messages icon in the Dock and choose Remove from Dock.

(3) Locate Messages in the Applications folder or in the Launchpad and restart Messages.

(4) If you wish, right-click the Messages icon in the Dock and choose Keep in Dock.

May 25, 2023 8:32 PM in response to Taha Abbasi

The solution listed in the original post did not work for me, but I found the following to work for the messages app and photos app, which was behaving the same way.

1. Open terminal and then paste this command

killall Dock

2. Right click on messages app -> options -> Remove from dock

3. Open messgaes app again - The unread count should be gone now. You can add it to dock again.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Nov 15, 2023 9:11 PM in response to Taha Abbasi

If it doesn't work to updating your Setting Preferences, which is did not for me - even after quitting messages and reopening and turning back on notifications; you can highlight all you messages in your inbox right-click and mark as "unread" and then right-click again and mark them as "read." I did this twice and it worked for me clearing all my phantom notifications.

Feb 7, 2024 11:21 AM in response to Taha Abbasi

I found that this was a recently deleted message. Go to View - Recently Deleted. On your dock, right click on the Message app and it should show which message it thinks is unread. I was able to find it in recently deleted. Right click on the deleted message and select restore. Now you can view the message and re-delete it.

Messages showing phantom unread message count on Macbook (Messages in iCloud enabled) with no actual unread messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.