Need assistance in configuring primary SIM for calls and SMS on iPhone

Hello Apple Community,

I'm seeking assistance regarding a configuration issue I'm facing with my iPhone, particularly related to the usage of two SIM cards. I have one SIM card that I use as my primary number for making calls and sending SMS, while the second SIM card is solely for receiving calls.

I've encountered a challenge where I want to ensure that whenever I initiate a call or send an SMS, it always uses my primary SIM card. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a solution for this matter through Apple's customer support. I find it surprising that Apple, known for its user-friendly features, does not seem to have a straightforward solution for this particular scenario.

I understand that dual SIM functionality is available on iPhones, but the ability to specify a default SIM for outgoing calls and SMS seems to be missing. It's essential for me to maintain a clear distinction between my primary and secondary SIM cards, ensuring that important communications are consistently routed through the correct number.

I kindly request your assistance and guidance on how to configure my iPhone in a way that ensures outgoing calls and SMS always use my primary SIM card. Any insights, workarounds, or third-party solutions that the Apple Community can offer would be highly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and support. I look forward to hearing from the community and finding a resolution to this issue.

Best regards,

Yugal Garg

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on May 26, 2023 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2023 1:09 AM

You may be aware the there is a difference between "Last Used" and "Always Use"

if you have selected a Line for a Contact, Say Line B as "Always Use"

and If that contact sends you a text using Line A then if you reply to that contact using the received message in the Message App as a continuation of the conversation then the Contact will be assigned as "Last Used"

Always start a conversation from the Contacts App if you want to keep Business and Personal lines separate.

If you start the conversation from the old thread then you cannot change it. Start a new conversation from Contacts App. Here you can change the number as well as the Line. As shown in the GIF below

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2023 1:09 AM in response to yugal68

You may be aware the there is a difference between "Last Used" and "Always Use"

if you have selected a Line for a Contact, Say Line B as "Always Use"

and If that contact sends you a text using Line A then if you reply to that contact using the received message in the Message App as a continuation of the conversation then the Contact will be assigned as "Last Used"

Always start a conversation from the Contacts App if you want to keep Business and Personal lines separate.

If you start the conversation from the old thread then you cannot change it. Start a new conversation from Contacts App. Here you can change the number as well as the Line. As shown in the GIF below

May 27, 2023 1:08 AM in response to yugal68

yugal68 wrote:

I've encountered a challenge where I want to ensure that whenever I initiate a call or send an SMS, it always uses my primary SIM card. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a solution for this matter through Apple's customer support. I find it surprising that Apple, known for its user-friendly features, does not seem to have a straightforward solution for this particular scenario.

However, the feature on an iPhone is as follows based on the way you are trying to call.

Watch the GIF below to change the Voice line. This has to be done each time you receive a call and want to call back from another line other than through which it was received.

Alternatively, you may change the Voice line to be used under Contacts. And dial using contacts and not using the Recent call list.

While making a fresh call using dial pad.

Need assistance in configuring primary SIM for calls and SMS on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.