Lost iPhone trying to set up another phone.

Hi - one of my family lost their phone in NZ. I’m back here in Australia trying to set up a new phone for them using ICloud for when they return. I can get as far as 2 factor authentication ( after putting in Apple ID and PW) but since the other phone is lost it needs to be sent to a trusted number for recovery. That trusted number is not being accepted? Is there any other option? Thanks.

Posted on May 26, 2023 6:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2023 7:03 PM

Unfortunately, the trusted number(s) is(are) the primary mechanism for this very task.

Is there possibly another trusted device on that same AppleID? (e.g. Mac or iPad). If so they can generate a code as well.

Also, did the AppleID possibly have a recovery contact established?

The full list of options is described here:

Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2023 7:03 PM in response to GregGJC68

Unfortunately, the trusted number(s) is(are) the primary mechanism for this very task.

Is there possibly another trusted device on that same AppleID? (e.g. Mac or iPad). If so they can generate a code as well.

Also, did the AppleID possibly have a recovery contact established?

The full list of options is described here:

Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

Lost iPhone trying to set up another phone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.