Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Can I pair an Apple Watch and an iPhone that have different carriers?

I bought a series eight watch today with its own phone number on verizon. I want to pair it with my current phone that is on consumer cellular. can I do that. nothing seems clear cut. this is a need for carriers like consumer cellular who don't carry what we need. like oh Ion't know watches. any help is appreciated I get the device tomorow.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch Series 8

Posted on May 26, 2023 8:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2024 9:32 PM

I was able to do it by having a phone with the same carrier as the watch. First, turn off the cellular service on the phone that you want to pair the watch with then create a hotspot with the other phone that has the same carrier service as your watch service. Attach the phone you are paring with the watch to the hotspot of the other phone, then proceeded on pairing the phone. The watch will automatically recognize the same cellular service and you will set the WiFi later. After the pairing is complete, turn back on cellular service and connect to desired WiFi.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2024 9:32 PM in response to lights_rage

I was able to do it by having a phone with the same carrier as the watch. First, turn off the cellular service on the phone that you want to pair the watch with then create a hotspot with the other phone that has the same carrier service as your watch service. Attach the phone you are paring with the watch to the hotspot of the other phone, then proceeded on pairing the phone. The watch will automatically recognize the same cellular service and you will set the WiFi later. After the pairing is complete, turn back on cellular service and connect to desired WiFi.

May 26, 2023 8:36 PM in response to lights_rage

Sorry, but the watch and iPhone MUST be on the same account and carrier. So, you cannot have a separate Verizon account for the watch, while using Consumer Cellular for your iPhone. Consumer Cellular does not support Apple Watch. So your options are to use the watch as a GPS only watch, meaning you'll need to have your iPhone nearby for many features to work, such as making and receiving phone calls, email, text, etc. Or, move your iPhone over to Verizon and then you have use your watch as a Cellular Apple Watch.

Nov 25, 2023 11:43 AM in response to CountZeroInterrupt

I don't know what you think is incorrect? The author of this thread wanted to know how to use a Verizon number on an iPhone, which is on Consumer Cellular. If Consumer Cellular does now support Apple Watch, they still can't use an Apple Watch on a Verizon number. They would need to get service for the watch from Consumer Cellular. If the watch is locked to Verizon however, that won't be possible.

Please tell me what is not not correct?

Finally, why are you responding to a thread started in May? I imagine by now the Author has resolved their issue 7 months later.

Dec 10, 2023 10:16 AM in response to lights_rage

I have a T-mobile family plan personal phone number on my iPhone, and i also added Verizon Visible prepaid work phone number on my iPhone to pair my Ultra 2 watch.

I did separate carriers because i am reimbursed for a work phone number and they prefer Verizon.

Now when i have to work on site i just set my Tmobile number to forward to my Visible work number, so now i can work hands free of a phone, and not worry about dropping my phone in the dirt or concrete.

Mar 20, 2024 9:03 PM in response to frankfromsantee

I can’t find your post but would love your help here. I have a family plan on Tmobile that my family uses. I use my work phone from Verizon. I went in and bought an Apple Watch with its own line since I didn’t want to pair it to one of my families lines. I was going to then pair my watch from tmobile to my work phone with Verizon using the same Apple ID. Tmobile cannot figure out how to do this. They tried to set up cell activation using one of the phones on my family plan, with the idea to then do a reset once activated and pair to my Verizon phone (will forward call). The sim won’t activate no matter what they are trying. Is this possible or should I return the watch?

Mar 21, 2024 3:35 AM in response to elyzabeth80

Hi Elyzabeth,

I reproduce frankfromsantee’s original post below. I’d be very curious whether this works for you because your scenario is almost exactly like my own, down to the carriers. Would you mind letting us know on this thread if this worked for you?

Frankfromsantee: “I was able to do it by having a phone with the same carrier as the watch. First, turn off the cellular service on the phone that you want to pair the watch with then create a hotspot with the other phone that has the same carrier service as your watch service. Attach the phone you are paring with the watch to the hotspot of the other phone, then proceeded on pairing the phone. The watch will automatically recognize the same cellular service and you will set the WiFi later. After the pairing is complete, turn back on cellular service and connect to desired WiFi.”

Can I pair an Apple Watch and an iPhone that have different carriers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.