Newsroom Update

watchOS 11 brings powerful health and fitness insights. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch doesn’t record my nap.

I rarely nap. However, I took a nap tonight between 7 PM and 10 PM and the Apple Watch did not count it as a sleep period.

Nothing was recorded. Why?

Posted on May 26, 2023 10:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2023 12:16 PM

No, no facts the fact 1: it works this way! fact 2 this way doesn't work for anyone !!!!! So nobody can like it! Why?

1: nobody sleeps by scheduling !!!!!! Maybe some under some specific reasons. Majority wont.

2: We have naps

3: One day we can go to bed at 10pm other day at 1am and wake up one morning at one time other morning at other time so sleep tracking in a this way will never ever be correct and precise.

4: who can like device feature where you have to adapt your life to the device but not a device to your life style.

And then you offer to buy something else think other way :

No info that describes how it works before you buy!!!!!!! And after you spend 1000euro you say buy another brand? Not sure you might are a millionaire who can afford many expensive devices but look I'm not that rich!

And you sound like a troll defending Apple fail. As always I found this forum to be very toxic unhelpful.

Have. A nice day!

56 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2023 12:16 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

No, no facts the fact 1: it works this way! fact 2 this way doesn't work for anyone !!!!! So nobody can like it! Why?

1: nobody sleeps by scheduling !!!!!! Maybe some under some specific reasons. Majority wont.

2: We have naps

3: One day we can go to bed at 10pm other day at 1am and wake up one morning at one time other morning at other time so sleep tracking in a this way will never ever be correct and precise.

4: who can like device feature where you have to adapt your life to the device but not a device to your life style.

And then you offer to buy something else think other way :

No info that describes how it works before you buy!!!!!!! And after you spend 1000euro you say buy another brand? Not sure you might are a millionaire who can afford many expensive devices but look I'm not that rich!

And you sound like a troll defending Apple fail. As always I found this forum to be very toxic unhelpful.

Have. A nice day!

Oct 22, 2023 1:17 PM in response to nowhereman473

Yeah, for whatever reason Apple watch doesn’t detect my naps either.

My previous smart watch, Samsung, didn’t require me to tell it when I was going to sleep. No sleep scheduled business required. It just automatically detected sleeping, whether it was a full sleep at night or a nap.

Assuming it detected heart rate was lowered and movement stopped, and realized hey, this person is asleep.

Not sure why Apple can’t do that.

But, at least Apple Watch now has its own built-in sleep app without having to buy one.

Nov 26, 2023 4:30 AM in response to DX-7

I have got this ultra watch too and I'm very disappointed the way sleep tracking works.

It is tracking sleep only at scheduled sleep time as example 00:00 to 07:00 outside of theses hours its not tracking anything. Its should track automatically then you get asleep without scheduling.

I tried to follow these your mentioned apple recommendation but could not find most of mentioned settings.

"Set a consistent sleep schedule in the Sleep section of the Watch app" no such setting at all on watch app.

the way apple watch is tracking sleep is useless as very little people goes to sleep at manual pattern we are not robots to switch of ourselves at 11pm and wake up at 7am.

Dec 9, 2023 6:30 AM in response to SuzyPasadena

I’ve been experimenting and found that defining a bigger sleep schedule IS the trick to detecting naps. You do NOT have to have it go into sleep focus mode at the beginning of the sleep schedule. I don’t even use sleep focus anymore. I just define a large sleep schedule (8PM-9AM) and go about my evening. If I nap in the evening, it detects it and classifies it as light/REM/deep. Same with my regular sleep.

There’s two side effects from doing this. First, if you nap in the evening, it assumes that your sleep started when you napped and your sleep efficiency may be horrible (because it looks like nap-awake-sleep). Second, it doesn’t write the sleep stage data to Health until the schedule is done. There’s a trick, though. If after waking up you toggle sleep focus mode on the watch (I turn it on, wait about five seconds, then turn it off), THEN it realizes that you’re done and it writes the sleep stage data to Health so that other apps can see it (if you use other sleep apps too - I use AutoSleep myself to complement the native sleep app).

Hope that this helps some.

Nov 26, 2023 11:56 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Can I ask? do you work for Apple that you cannot accept their fail on this feature? Im 44 years old man who bought a h.. expensive smart watch to find its one of the best features as sleep tracking works in a most strange way. So you offer me to give up with apple and go back to Samsung who does it the right way or Garmin who does it the right way? I don't want a device which works this way and nobody wants read all around everyone blames this way of work. Did you see any positive comment? This is a forum where I can express I like or no and the least I expect someone advising me to drop Apple device and go to other manufacturer. This was so rude :/

Dec 8, 2023 8:29 PM in response to LD150

I see some snarkiness in this thread but the poor quality of the Apple Watch sleep monitoring is disappointing and unexpected. For the snarky, “too bad for you if you didn’t do your research” commenter: if I were planning on buying a Tesla, I wouldn’t think to double check to make sure it had a radio. I seriously am thinking about buying a Fitbit to track my sleep.

May 26, 2023 10:49 PM in response to nowhereman473

Hello nowhereman473!

There could be a few reasons why your Apple Watch did not record your nap between 7 PM and 10 PM:

1. Sleep detection disabled: By default, Apple Watch is set to automatically track your sleep only during the nighttime sleep period. If you didn't enable the "Sleep Mode" feature or manually start sleep tracking, the watch might not have recognized your nap as a sleep period.
  2. Sleep schedule inconsistency: If your sleep schedule is irregular or deviates significantly from your usual nighttime sleep period, the Apple Watch sleep tracking feature may not detect it as a typical sleep session. The watch relies on consistent patterns to recognize sleep periods accurately.
  3. Sleep sensitivity settings: The Apple Watch sleep tracking feature has sensitivity settings that determine how it detects sleep. If the sensitivity settings are not appropriately adjusted for your sleep patterns or if you haven't customized them, it might affect the accuracy of sleep detection, especially for shorter or irregular sleep periods like naps.
  4. Placement and battery: The accuracy of sleep tracking on the Apple Watch can be affected by the placement of the watch on your wrist and its battery level. If the watch is loosely worn or the battery is low, it may not accurately track your sleep or record the data.

To improve sleep tracking with your Apple Watch, consider the following tips:

• Enable Sleep Mode: Open the Watch app on your iPhone, go to the "My Watch" tab, select "Sleep," and enable "Sleep Mode." This ensures that the watch actively tracks your sleep during designated periods.
  • Customize sleep schedule: Set a consistent sleep schedule in the Sleep section of the Watch app to align with your regular sleep patterns. This helps the watch better understand your sleep routine.
  • Adjust sensitivity settings: In the Sleep section of the Watch app, you can customize the sensitivity settings for sleep tracking. Experiment with different settings to see if adjusting them improves the accuracy of sleep detection.
  • Ensure a secure fit: Make sure the Apple Watch is worn snugly on your wrist during sleep. This helps maintain good contact and accuracy during sleep tracking.

Highest regards,

DX-7

Dec 30, 2023 5:50 AM in response to nowhereman473

Setting your sleep schedule at a certain time, i.e. 9:00PM-5:00AM does not mean that is the only time it will track sleep, it is just your standard bed time, and while not everyone goes to sleep at the same time every night, many people do have schedules they abide by.

If you do not have a schedule, open the health app on your phone and go to sleep, find the sleep schedule and toggle off both “sleep schedule” and “use schedule for sleep focus”. This way you can just turn on sleep focus mode when you do go to sleep or nap.

When you lay down to nap, open control panel on your phone and turn on the “sleep” focus mode.

If you can’t take 2 seconds to do this when you lay down to nap or sleep then that’s on you because it is seriously the most simple thing in the world and you shouldn’t be THAT lazy.

It’s not like you are napping or falling asleep out of nowhere unplanned, at that point I’d recommend seeing a physician.

Nov 26, 2023 12:05 PM in response to andriusk79

andriusk79 wrote:

Can I ask? do you work for Apple

This is a user-to-user forum. No one participating in this thread works for Apple. And, Apple doesn't read here for feedback or suggestions.

I'm sorry that you find statements of fact "rude" just because you don't like them. But, they are still facts. If the device, as it currently exists does not meet your needs, you should absolutely buy something that does.

Apple Watch doesn’t record my nap.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.