You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft Exchange No Longer Works With Apple Mail ?

It's my understanding that Microsoft Exchange no longer supports Apple Mail? (Version 15.0). Can someone verify this? I have multiple business accounts through GoDaddy and I can no longer log into any Exchange account using Apple Mail. (Not a GoDaddy issue). This also includes the actual Exchange site for each account. It's obviously an authorization issue and I believe it's related to Microsoft no longer accepting simple verification when someone tries to long in.

Yes, I have tried to change passwords, reboot, remove / add account etc. It's obviously an Exchange issue of not accepting passwords.

Using Apple 12.2.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on May 27, 2023 10:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2023 8:15 PM

I intermittently have issues with my Apple email Exchange accounts all of a sudden wanting the Password, but the Password will NOT be accepted. I tried all the usual fixes, and the accounts still did not generate. I have 6 GoDaddy Exchange email accounts.

However, a GoDaddy representative helped me out with a SIMPLE TECHNIQUE. He had me sign in ONLINE to one of my Exchange email accounts, and then go back to my Apple email, and add the same Exchange email account there. Viola!

You have to use the official Microsoft password pop-up request and do NOT use the Apple password request.

Here is the link to save and keep for this simple fix: https://login.live.com/login.srf?wa=wsignin1.0&rpsnv=16&ct=1698806842&rver=7.0.6738.0&wp=MBI_SSL&wreply=https%3a%2f%2foutlook.live.com%2fowa%2f%3fnlp%3d1%26RpsCsrfState%3d1a40d6c1-eb3b-8b65-07fa-93dc50299f2a&id=292841&aadredir=1&CBCXT=out&lw=1&fl=dob%2cflname%2cwld&cobrandid=90015

Similar questions

23 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 31, 2023 8:15 PM in response to Louis XIV

I intermittently have issues with my Apple email Exchange accounts all of a sudden wanting the Password, but the Password will NOT be accepted. I tried all the usual fixes, and the accounts still did not generate. I have 6 GoDaddy Exchange email accounts.

However, a GoDaddy representative helped me out with a SIMPLE TECHNIQUE. He had me sign in ONLINE to one of my Exchange email accounts, and then go back to my Apple email, and add the same Exchange email account there. Viola!

You have to use the official Microsoft password pop-up request and do NOT use the Apple password request.

Here is the link to save and keep for this simple fix: https://login.live.com/login.srf?wa=wsignin1.0&rpsnv=16&ct=1698806842&rver=7.0.6738.0&wp=MBI_SSL&wreply=https%3a%2f%2foutlook.live.com%2fowa%2f%3fnlp%3d1%26RpsCsrfState%3d1a40d6c1-eb3b-8b65-07fa-93dc50299f2a&id=292841&aadredir=1&CBCXT=out&lw=1&fl=dob%2cflname%2cwld&cobrandid=90015

May 27, 2023 11:27 AM in response to talaq211

talaq211 wrote:

How do I get a domain subscription for the foundations?

I am unsure what you are asking, and if this is related to Exchange Server and authentication.

If this is not related to Louis XIV and “fun” with Exchange Servers, please post your own new question.

To post a new question, use the Ask The Community link near the top center.

If you are seeking to subscribe to Apple TV+ for the Foundation TV series, start here: Apple TV+ - Apple

May 27, 2023 11:06 AM in response to Louis XIV

Okay, it appears that Microsoft is discontinuing support for basic auth with Microsoft 365 services starting sometime around June 6th 2023. (And you might need specialized help with your mail and with your IT more generally here, as this isn’t a configuration sequence or a mail server I have a way to test.)

That written, read this: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/microsoft-and-apple-working-together-to-improve-exchange-online/ba-p/3513846

Then update to macOS 12.6.6 or macOS 13.4.

Then remove and re-add the mail account, not with basic auth, and test again.

If not, remove and re-add it as an Exchange account.

Longer answer, more links…

Louis XIV wrote:

It's my understanding that Microsoft no longer supports Apple Mail? (Version 15.0). Can someone verify this? I have multiple business accounts through GoDaddy and I can no longer log into any Exchange mail account. (Not a GoDaddy issue). This also includes the actual Exchange site for each account. It's obviously an authorization issue and I believe it related to Microsoft no longer accepting simple verification when someone tries to long in.

Yes, I have tried to change passwords, etc. It's obviously an Exchange issue of not accepting passwords.

Using Apple 12.2.

First… macOS 12.2? That’s pretty old. Definitely update that.

If you want to use Microsoft services and servers and particularly Exchange Server, using Windows is usually the best approach. If not that path here, then using Office and Outlook would be common. GoDaddy has occasionally been able to figure out some odd behaviors of their own servers, so they too could have issues in play here.

It appears Microsoft is dropping basic auth for IMAP and POP for their Microsoft 365 services, and requiring everybody to move over over to multi-factor or to Exchange:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/set-up-email-in-mac-os-x-mail-de372dc4-9648-4044-a76c-e8a60e178d54

The following text was purportedly sent out by GoDaddy to their customers:

Update your settings to keep your email app access working.

There are email accounts in your organization using Basic Authentication, which Microsoft will no longer support after 06/08/2023. You'll still be able to access your email through your browser, but not from an email app, such as Outlook or Apple Mail — don't worry, none of your emails will be lost.

In order to continue using your email apps, you need to update your settings from POP/IMAP to Exchange for each device you use to check your email. This also applies to other users who are set up within your account using POP/IMAP settings. Here's how to update your email settings.

Here is how to set up Apple Mail with Exchange protocols for Microsoft 365 on GoDaddy:

https://productivity.godaddy.com/app/exchangeSettingsHelpArticles?type=basicauthupdate#/

macOS mail does support OAuth and multi-factor, and re-configuring or removing and re-adding the server account connection not using basic auth should be enough to enable that. (I’ve been not using basic auth for a while. It works. Though I’m not working with Microsoft 365 or Exchange.)

Another bigger-project option is IMAPSYNC or similar, and re-hosting all your mail over to another service and another provider. (At least while IMAP with basic auth is still working.)

Jun 29, 2024 12:15 PM in response to Louis XIV

The issue is not with exchange in Apple Mail. It's a GoDaddy issue. one of my clients is experiencing the issue right now with macOS Mojave, 10.14.6. It was working fine up until either the second to last or last week in May. This was just about a weekor two weeks ago.

However, I have a business email I subscribe to directly from Microsoft 365- one I did not purchase through Godaddy. When I logged in on the Mail app with it, it worked perfectly fine. I had zero problems with authenticating. The fields for me to enter my email address and password credentials were there and logged in promptly.

Even after sending Godaddy, emails with the relevant screenshots, and not escalating my issue to a technical department, I just got a 3rd party email client which supported the emails. Now my people back on track.

Godaddy customer service is clueless and incapable with dealing with the issue.

My advice, visit https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/business/compare-all-microsoft-365-business-products?&activetab=tab:primaryr2 and compare the prices there with what you are using from Godaddy's 365 offering. Chances are, depending on the size of your organisation or how many exchange accounts you use for your business, you will be better off with purchasing an exchange solution directly from Microsoft. If you go the route, you won't have to worry about your exchange account not working with apple's Mail app.

Please know that I cannot speak to exchange not working in Apple's Mail app in any macOS version older than macOS Mojave 10.14.6. Maybe by next week I will test it for you all and update you all on my findings. But definitively, if you are on macOS Mojave, 10.14.6, and your GoDaddy exchange account with Microsoft 365 is not authenticating and not logging in and you don't want to use the web browser, consider using the email directly from Microsoft with the link I provided. They even have a one month free option you can try. Please contact your IT department to help with the move so you don't loose earlier emails.

[Edited by Moderator]

Feb 2, 2024 6:42 AM in response to Louis XIV

Once you know what to do, it takes two minutes. This worked for me:

First, delete exchange email account from your mac. Then generate app specific password in your Microsoft account. Then go to Mail app -> Preferences -> Accounts and add "Other Mail Account". Then type in your email address and copy & paste the recently generated app specific password. Et voila.

This has worked for me. When I tried to add the new email account as Exchange account, it didn't work. I use a xxxx@live address with 2FA. Running MacOS Mojave 14.6

May 28, 2023 10:44 AM in response to MrHoffman

Not sure about that? Maybe? Exchange can still be accessed via mail.goddaddy.com.

However, when using Apple Mail, none of the accounts can be accessed via preferences. You can remove accounts, but they cannot be added.

Order: Apple Mail / Preferences / + account / Microsoft Exchange / Email Address / Sign In (works) / Sends to Godaddy Sign-in / "Authentication Failed."

May 28, 2023 10:00 AM in response to MrHoffman

Just got off the phone with Godaddy. 1.5 hour conservation. Lady was nice and tried really hard to assist me. The bad news is confirmed. There is NO fix for Apple Mail users. You will NOT be able to use Apple Mail with Godaddy / Exchange after June 8th. You will have to download Exchange and use Outlook, and reopen your accounts. Alll old mail files, contacts, etc., will be lost.

Jan 23, 2024 11:00 AM in response to JJCareMan

JJCareMan wrote:

Can send emails but inbox is empty. Mac OS 14.3. Exchange in Mac Mail not working.

Please start your own thread, as you're probably not running macOS 12.2 here, probably not using basic auth given this is sorta-kinda-already working, and quite possibly not using GoDaddy as your mail-hosting provider.

Post your details, including whether this is a new Exchange setup or was one that was working prior to the macOS 14.3 update, maybe identify your hosting provider for Exchange (private Windows Server Exchange Server, Microsoft, or some hosting provider), and what you've already tried. Mixed threads get confusing. Add a link back here if you want, too.

As a fallback or as a workaround, see if standard mail works assuming your mail-hosting provider offers that; IMAP and ESMTP.

I'm also presently lacking a way to test Microsoft 365 or Windows Server with Exchange Server in conjunction with macOS 14.3, so there's that big limitation.

Feb 15, 2024 9:53 PM in response to Louis XIV

I'll give you an answer to your question. I also get my e-mail from Go Daddy (for the pst 20 years). I've always been on a Macintosh and used POP3 as the protocol to download and send e-mail. 3 years ago Microsoft bought a majority stake in Go Daddy and made every customer switch to Microsoft Exchange and disabled POP3. That's when my e-mail stopped working. 1. I have always used mail rules on the computer side within Apple Mail. Now because of exchange when using mail rules my e-mail does download but just the subject line. No body copy or attachments get displayed. 2. Once an e-mail gets moved from the Microsoft Exchange to "On My Mac" the e-mail is supposed to get automatically deleted off the e-mail server. This doesn't work and I have to manually log into secureserver.net to physically delete e-mails otherwise my e-mail server gets filled up. My Go Daddy e-mail server holds about 4,500 e-mails. 3. Go Daddy used to have free great tech support but since Microsoft technically bought them no more free support. You have to pay to call India. 4. When you call Go Daddy they claim they know nothing about Apple computers although they claim Apple is compatible to Microsoft Exchange. I'm happy I found your post. I knew I wasn't the only person in the world who was on a Macintosh and having e-mail problems with Microsoft Exchange. I'm looking into other e-mail providers who still use the old POP3 standard. And from what I've read some major companies prefer POP3 over Microsoft Exchange. Microsoft is a bully and I'm not happy with them.

Mar 18, 2024 3:06 PM in response to honco

as honco reply

Once you know what to do, it takes two minutes. This worked for me:

First, delete exchange email account from your mac. Then generate app specific password in your Microsoft account. Then go to Mail app -> Preferences -> Accounts and add "Other Mail Account". Then type in your email address and copy & paste the recently generated app specific password. Et voila.

This has worked for me. When I tried to add the new email account as Exchange account, it didn't work. I use a xxxx@live address with 2FA. Running MacOS Mojave 14.6

I'm working with MacOS Mojave 14.6 as well and have the same issue. I use xxxx@hotmail address.

I deleted my exchange email account from my Mac and since then had issues adding it back.

I have two other exchange accounts with different Microsoft 365 providers and have no issue with them. the OAuth pops-up and all.

I have issue only with my hotmail account. I tried to enable and disable 2FA but it didn't change anything (except from using app specific password when 2FA is enable, instead of my own password)

I'm still getting the 'unable to verify account name or password' while trying to add it as exchange account.

I'm able to add the Hotmail address as "Other Mail Account" but when I do it - I have missing subfolders. I have 7 subfolders but it loads only 3 folders. The other folders don't appear even when I open the Account Info window (right click on the mailbox > Get Account Info).

I used a newer MacBook of friend of mine with macOS Ventura and had no issues with the Apple Mail

Up to a few weeks ago I had no issue with this at all on macOS Mojave, what happened?

The other Microsoft 365 Exchange accounts are working, just my hotmail doesn't

Microsoft Exchange No Longer Works With Apple Mail ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.