Change Security Questions

I’m trying to change my security questions by following the instruction here:

Change your Apple ID security questions - Apple Support

I followed these steps:

1. ✅ Sign in to appleid.apple.com.
  2. ✅ In the Sign-In and Security section, select Account Security.
  3. ❌Under Security questions, select Change security questions.

The Account Security popup shows me only:

1. trusted phone numbers
  2. trusted devices
  3. security keys not set up

There is no mention of security questions, as you can see in this screenshot:

So, how do I change my security questions?

Thank you for your help.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on May 28, 2023 5:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2023 6:22 AM

Because you use 2FA, security questions are “a relic of the past” and no longer applicable to your AppleID.

Note opening paragraph in linked article excerpted below:

“… If you haven't upgraded your Apple ID to two-factor authentication, your account uses security questions … “

3 replies

May 29, 2023 7:27 AM in response to Nello Lucchesi

Recognise and avoid phishing messages, phoney support calls and other scams – Apple Support (AU)

As it lacks the “urgency” and “dire warnings” in most scams, it seems more legit. Are there perhaps nefarious “hidden” URLs behind those legit-appearing “plain text” links in the 2nd paragraph?

Also it doesn’t really urge you to do anything. It NEVER instructs you to change your security questions.

If legit, it might just be a “boilerplate” letter, written to be applicable to any AppleID; not necessarily tailored to your account.

You’d be well advised to Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support to verify.

IF LEGIT … perhaps someone MIGHT have indeed been attempting access to your account through the recovery process. (https://iforgot.apple.com)

Suggest you fully audit your AppleID at https://appleid.apple.com

You might also consider using a “different” Notification E-Mail - to one not in general circulation. (giving you more assurance that it IS from Apple)

About your Apple ID email addresses - Apple Support

If you are indeed being specifically targeted, consider security keys:

About Security Keys for Apple ID - Apple Support

May 29, 2023 5:58 AM in response to Chattanoogan

Thanks for your reply.

I suspect that you are correct that by using two-factor authentication, security questions are removed as an option for account recovery.

Nevertheless …

The reason that I was trying to change the security questions for my Apple ID is that I received this email from Apple asking me to do so:

This appears to be sent from Apple; notice Gmail’s blue authentication mark next to the from address. (I can post the ARC authentication from the email header if you’d like.). The only curious part about this letter is that the (redacted) text in parentheses after “Apple ID” is not in fact my Apple ID, but rather the account portion (without the domain) of the email address that I use as my Apple ID.

In any case …

Why is Apple send me an email asking me to do something with my Apple ID that can not be done?

Change Security Questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.