Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iOS 16.5 broke wired CarPlay Podcasts

Ironically, the release notes state that ios16.5 fixes issues that some people suffered using Podcasts via CarPlay on 14.6.1.

I had no problem using PC before upgrading, but since moving to 16.5 earlier today Podcasts doesn’t launch when using CarPlay (or launches but immediately crashes). PC works fine on my phone (13Pro), and everything else appears to work in CarPlay.

I upgraded to 14.5 for the security fixes, but may revert back to 14.6.1 so that PC works again for me.

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on May 28, 2023 6:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2023 7:11 AM

Ok, have fixed this. After upgrading I needed to restart my phone (which I don’t usually do after upgrading iOS but will do in future.

This stopped Podcasts from crashing in CarPlay but still I couldn’t play anything because the upgrade had forced Podcasts to play as music via the car’s ‘Media’ option (ie, not in Carplay). By stopping the audio file from playing in the head unit’s Media function then allowed me to press play within Podcasts and all is well again.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2023 7:11 AM in response to Y_Cymro

Ok, have fixed this. After upgrading I needed to restart my phone (which I don’t usually do after upgrading iOS but will do in future.

This stopped Podcasts from crashing in CarPlay but still I couldn’t play anything because the upgrade had forced Podcasts to play as music via the car’s ‘Media’ option (ie, not in Carplay). By stopping the audio file from playing in the head unit’s Media function then allowed me to press play within Podcasts and all is well again.

Jun 7, 2023 8:45 AM in response to Mini-me2

Did you do this: "This stopped Podcasts from crashing in CarPlay but still I couldn’t play anything because the upgrade had forced Podcasts to play as music via the car’s ‘Media’ option (ie, not in Carplay). By stopping the audio file from playing in the head unit’s Media function then allowed me to press play within Podcasts and all is well again."

Jun 15, 2023 5:40 PM in response to Y_Cymro

Today my iPhone stopped playing podcasts; played Spotify with no issue. I have an older car so I have to use my Aux cord. I do not know if this is something that can be fixed. In reading the replies in this thread, I don't know what "By stopping the audio file from playing in the head unit’s Media function then allowed me to press play within Podcasts..." I am not very techy and don't know if this can somehow apply to my old car and phone, but if anyone can help me, i sure would appreciate it. Thank you!

iOS 16.5 broke wired CarPlay Podcasts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.