Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Is anyone aware of any precedent where after Apple replaces back glass on an iPhone 14 Pro, it’s IP68 rating is compromised?

I got my back glass replaced 3 weeks ago by my local Apple Store under AppleCare+. 2 weeks later, this repaired phone was submerged in about 1’ of water for about 30 seconds.

A few minutes after removing it from the water, 2/3 rear cameras and the front camera all displayed signs of condensation having formed inside the unit. Taking decent photos was impossible, but otherwise there was nothing wrong with the phone, including FaceID.

I was on holidays during this time, so I couldn’t take the phone in for service until I got back, however after a few days the condensation is gone and there is zero evidence of there being any condensation inside the unit, visually anyways. And yes, I’m 1000% sure that the condensation was inside the unit.

I haven’t looked at the water contact indicator yet - I’m about to do that.

This isn’t the first time that I’ve had an iPhone submerged in water for, at a minimum, the same depth and duration. I’ve never had this issue happen before, so I’m confident that the conditions under which the phone was submerged weren’t in excess of what IP68 certifies.

My question is whether it’s plausible that Apple messed up the back glass replacement such that the IP68 rating conditions weren’t fully restored after the service. If it is plausible, is anyone aware of any precedent for that, such that I can make a case to the same Apple Store and have them not charge me for the water damage replacement?

Posted on May 28, 2023 7:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2023 8:43 AM

Water damage is not covered by any warranty.

Apple’s official guidance is not to submerge your phone in water for any period of time.

About splash, water, and dust resistance of iPhone 7 and later - Apple Support

To prevent liquid damage, avoid these:

• Swimming or bathing with your iPhone
  • Exposing your iPhone to pressurized water or high velocity water, such as when showering, water skiing, wake boarding, surfing, jet skiing, and so on
  • Using your iPhone in a sauna or steam room
  • Intentionally submerging your iPhone in water
  • Operating your iPhone outside the suggested temperature ranges or in extremely humid conditions
  • Dropping your iPhone or subjecting it to other impacts
  • Disassembling your iPhone, including removing screws

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2023 8:43 AM in response to Jason Lixfeld

Water damage is not covered by any warranty.

Apple’s official guidance is not to submerge your phone in water for any period of time.

About splash, water, and dust resistance of iPhone 7 and later - Apple Support

To prevent liquid damage, avoid these:

• Swimming or bathing with your iPhone
  • Exposing your iPhone to pressurized water or high velocity water, such as when showering, water skiing, wake boarding, surfing, jet skiing, and so on
  • Using your iPhone in a sauna or steam room
  • Intentionally submerging your iPhone in water
  • Operating your iPhone outside the suggested temperature ranges or in extremely humid conditions
  • Dropping your iPhone or subjecting it to other impacts
  • Disassembling your iPhone, including removing screws

May 28, 2023 8:16 AM in response to Jason Lixfeld

As far as I know, Apple's official repair services or authorized service providers typically use specialized tools and components to ensure that the device maintains its original water resistance after repairs.

Do you receive any warranty for the repaired device along with the repair invoice?

This may help you understand it --> Legal - Repair Terms and Conditions - Apple

May 28, 2023 8:05 AM in response to Jason Lixfeld

iPhones are not covered for water damage. And the specs for the phone do not say that the phone can be submerged without damage. Here is Apple’s statement:

iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone SE (2nd generation), iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPhone 12, and iPhone 12 mini are splash, water, and dust resistant and were tested under controlled laboratory conditions; iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPhone 12, and iPhone 12 mini and later models have a rating of IP68 under IEC standard 60529 (maximum depth of 6 meters up to 30 minutes); iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max have a rating of IP68 under IEC standard 60529 (maximum depth of 4 meters up to 30 minutes); iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone 11 have a rating of IP68 under IEC standard 60529 (maximum depth of 2 meters up to 30 minutes); and iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XR, and iPhone SE (2nd generation) have a rating of IP67 under IEC standard 60529 (maximum depth of 1 meter up to 30 minutes). Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear. Do not attempt to charge a wet iPhone; refer to the user guide for cleaning and drying instructions. Liquid damage not covered under warranty.

Is anyone aware of any precedent where after Apple replaces back glass on an iPhone 14 Pro, it’s IP68 rating is compromised?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.