Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Erasing my iPhone

Hi, I sold my iphone months ago and I need to delete the device from my icloud. However, I accidentally clicked "remove device" instead of "erase device" How can I erase the details from my old iphone now? Help!

Posted on May 28, 2023 10:20 AM

6 replies

May 28, 2023 10:51 AM in response to Chattanoogan

Chattanoogan wrote:
No need to panic.

As long as you NEVER give your previous passcode to the purchaser, any personal data remaining on the device will remain encrypted and inaccessible.

It will be erased when the purchaser resets the phone; part of the process to make it their “own.”

If it was sold, I'm thinking it's not terribly useful to the buyer without a way to access it and reset it. And that would require someone with either the passcode and/or password access to the Apple ID to remove any activation lock and/or disable Find My.

If I were the buyer and couldn't use it, I'd be pretty upset.

May 28, 2023 12:11 PM in response to y_p_w

You’re exactly right.

While it’s not clear exactly how the device was prepared prior to sale …

… it certainly appears that it was not done “properly.”

A “reset” can ALWAYS be performed; even w/o “access”, at which point, “Activation Lock” becomes the next “hurdle to be cleared.”

Who knows … maybe this phone sat in a box for “a few months” and is only now being setup ??? 🤷🏼

Dec 3, 2023 10:37 PM in response to joyen224

I had my phone stolen, was tracking it - sent an erase signal and then 'removed" it from my account/icloud. but now I am concerned that the erase my device signal won't go through?? but side note - i can still see the device on my ipad in real time and says "erase pending"

I'm concerned my phone won't be erased and they have access to all my personal info (pics, etc) does anyone know if the erase signal still goes through even though I removed it from my icloud?

Erasing my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.