Apple ID email no longer available

Hi. I have currently apple ID connected with my school email but it is going to be deleted. I also have an old account(that i don't use9 with email I would like to use instead. Can I give up old appleID and connect the same email with my current apple ID account?

Posted on May 29, 2023 1:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2023 9:35 AM

This can start getting complicated quickly depending upon your requirements, past usage of the various accounts, and any need you may have for keeping multiple accounts active (such as apps downloaded with both accounts). For example, if you need to use the old account but have apps that were downloaded with the school account, you could set up a brand new email account with a provider (there's plenty that offer free accounts) just so you have a new email address to use with the school account. Then set up Family Sharing with yourself so you can get access to apps and purchases made with the school account (now using a new email address) from the "old account" that is using the email address you wish to have as your Apple ID.

Here's how you change the email address you use for your Apple ID:

1. Go to https://appleid.apple.com and sign in.

2. In the Sign-In and Security section, choose Apple ID.

3. Enter the email address that you want to use as your Apple ID.

4. Choose Change Apple ID.

5. If you changed your Apple ID to a third-party email address, check your email for a verification code, then enter the code. Learn what to do if you didn't get the email. --> If you didn't receive your verification or reset email - Apple Support

6. If you use services like iCloud or Messages to share with friends and colleagues, sign in to those services with your updated Apple ID. --> What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

For more details, read the document: "Change your Apple ID" --> Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

To learn how to set up Family Sharing, read this support article --> Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2023 9:35 AM in response to Laura_Pint95

This can start getting complicated quickly depending upon your requirements, past usage of the various accounts, and any need you may have for keeping multiple accounts active (such as apps downloaded with both accounts). For example, if you need to use the old account but have apps that were downloaded with the school account, you could set up a brand new email account with a provider (there's plenty that offer free accounts) just so you have a new email address to use with the school account. Then set up Family Sharing with yourself so you can get access to apps and purchases made with the school account (now using a new email address) from the "old account" that is using the email address you wish to have as your Apple ID.

Here's how you change the email address you use for your Apple ID:

1. Go to https://appleid.apple.com and sign in.

2. In the Sign-In and Security section, choose Apple ID.

3. Enter the email address that you want to use as your Apple ID.

4. Choose Change Apple ID.

5. If you changed your Apple ID to a third-party email address, check your email for a verification code, then enter the code. Learn what to do if you didn't get the email. --> If you didn't receive your verification or reset email - Apple Support

6. If you use services like iCloud or Messages to share with friends and colleagues, sign in to those services with your updated Apple ID. --> What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

For more details, read the document: "Change your Apple ID" --> Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

To learn how to set up Family Sharing, read this support article --> Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

May 30, 2023 8:19 AM in response to Laura_Pint95

From: How to delete your Apple ID account - Apple Support

"Can I use the primary email address for my deleted Apple ID account to create a new Apple ID or with another existing Apple ID account?

No, once your Apple ID is deleted, you can't use the email address that you used with it to create a new Apple ID. In addition, you can't use that email address with another existing Apple ID except as a rescue [notification] email. Also, if your primary Apple ID email address is with a Custom Email Domain, it can never be reused to create an Apple ID after your Apple ID is deleted, even if the domain ownership changes."

May 30, 2023 8:34 AM in response to Laura_Pint95

Maybe this support article will help with changing your Apple ID email:

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

Although I am a little unclear on if the Apple ID or the email is going to be deleted or who owns the Apple ID. It is true that once the Apple ID is deleted it can no longer be used. It appears you now have 2 Apple ID's, so changing the first one may not be possible now and there is no way to merge both of them.

Apple ID email no longer available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.