Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Voice typing duplicates text on my iPhone 14 Pro Max

I have tried turning on and turning off the phone. Voice recorder is not on. Yet I waste so much time deleting and re-typing since anytime you click the voice record it duplicates multiple sentences that you just dictated please someone give a different fix.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on May 29, 2023 5:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2024 6:12 AM

My 15 pro just started repeating blocks of text when I pause while using voice to text. This just started immediately after an update to 17.4.1. I can't get it to stop. Sometimes it will duplicate a paragraph 3 or 4 times.

Similar questions

61 replies

Nov 9, 2023 8:29 AM in response to anshimm

I’ve been encountering persistent issues with my iPhone, notably the frequent occurrence of double texts. It feels as though there’s more emphasis on developing aesthetic features like a titanium band for the new iPhone, rather than enhancing its fundamental functionalities. Despite promises made years ago, it seems the voice-to-text feature and Siri’s performance remain antiquated. I’m seriously considering switching to an Android device, as it appears to be the only viable solution to these ongoing frustrations.

Oct 28, 2023 3:45 PM in response to tarheeltwice

This problem seems to happen more on particular websites, such as craigslist. It does not matter what you type on craigslist. Everything on craigslist duplicates and you have to remove one said before you can hit search.

Furthermore, this problem has been going on since before. iOS 15. Not just Craigslist but with in the Apple applications, such as Safari, Google, Bible Gateway, iOS, text messaging, iOS, email, etc.

It’s so much safer to be able to speak into your phone while driving. To leave a quick message to somebody or something. You’re not using your fingers to text. But everything duplicates at random. You don’t know when it’s going to happen and you don’t know why. Can’t somebody with an Apple figure this out. Why don’t you guys as a company have a Department do nothing but use voice for condition for a month or two. Do not use your fingers to type things in. Then the whole department can start complaining and figuring this out.

Thank you, Big – man

Dec 10, 2023 12:30 AM in response to kadeema

I’ve been dealing with this problem for years. Went into the Apple Store and they thought they fixed it but they were absolutely 100% wrong. Such a pain! It’s the worst when you try to edit some thing because it might just repeat what was texted before or after and sometimes I find an entire paragraph repeated at the bottom of the letter. Can’t send an email without proofreading it 1 million times. Sometimes a 5 to 10 minute email takes an hour and a half. Pulling my hair out!

Mar 14, 2024 7:58 PM in response to tarheeltwice

THIS WORKED FOR ME…

OK, I was equally as frustrated as anyone. I’m in a creative industry and if one of my tools starts repeating itself and I look down after a few hundred words to find that it’s 1000 words that’s a big deal.

It totally totally throws off momentum and the creative direction I was taken on a feature article. Not to mention my ADD - so if I have to stop and start and erase a duplicate, my train of thought is shot and I may never recapture that idea.

Now, what were we talking about?

OK, has anyone figured this out? If not, I think I did. So I came to this site to try to find a solution and could not find anything. Just like everyone else totally frustrated …

HOWEVER! mine just started duplicating ia few weeks ago ago and I remembered the operating system updated so I thought maybe it’s the new operating system … so I went to take a look at what operating system I updated to and there it was staring straight at me. I also updated my Wi-Fi to 5G! Ahhh HAAA!!! 😤

So obviously, it wasn’t the operating system because so many people on here was using very different ones and earlier versions so it was a small flip of a switch. When I updated to 5G, I kept a split line because some things work better on the older network. So I have two wireless options and one is 5G. So as long as I am NOT on 5G it hasn’t DUPLICATED.

I’m currently testing it out so curious to see if it works for anyone else But for the last hour, it has been working perfectly compared to a complete duplication nightmare for the last couple weeks.

Hope this helps somebody…SOUTH MAG!

May 29, 2023 5:45 AM in response to tarheeltwice

It's possible that your iPhone is misinterpreting or mishearing your dictation, leading to repeated texts or sentences. This can happen if there are background noises, unclear pronunciation, or if you dictate too quickly. Try speaking clearly and ensuring a quiet environment when dictating to improve accuracy.

Your iPhone might be set to provide voice feedback for each dictation you make. This feature is designed to confirm that your dictation was accurately captured. To check and adjust this setting, follow these steps:

• Go to "Settings" on your iPhone.
  • Tap on "Accessibility."
  • Select "Spoken Content."
  • Look for the option "Speak Selection" or "Speak Screen" and make sure it is turned off.

Settings > Accessibility > Audio/Visual > Background Sounds [Disable]

Voice typing duplicates text on my iPhone 14 Pro Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.