Trust Store Version

I’m currently on iOS 16.5 and my trust store version is 2023032800. According to Apple, the current Trust Store version for iOS 16, is 2022070700. Why is mine different??

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on May 29, 2023 7:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2023 12:01 AM

Oh new weird scary issue… I chatted on my message app with “Apple Support” today. When checking their icon in my messages it took me to the actual name of who I was speaking to. It read Apple Electronics Store lmao. When I asked the chat guy he said that it’s because the brand of apple is the electronics store omg! He went on to say more too. Then at the end of the chat I was invited to complete a survey and the address is feedback.applesurveys.com!! It’s not even an apple domain! So I’m pretty sure the hackers were chatting to me to get more info from me. Like my new phone number I had just gotten today hoping to fix this problem. I’ll have to get another new one now. But maybe you can verify if that is an apple website. From what I found it’s feedback. Apple.com. I’ll include photos as I thought it was pretty funny this guys explanation for why his apple impersonation was below the mediocre line at best.

70 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2023 12:01 AM in response to Servant of Cats

Oh new weird scary issue… I chatted on my message app with “Apple Support” today. When checking their icon in my messages it took me to the actual name of who I was speaking to. It read Apple Electronics Store lmao. When I asked the chat guy he said that it’s because the brand of apple is the electronics store omg! He went on to say more too. Then at the end of the chat I was invited to complete a survey and the address is feedback.applesurveys.com!! It’s not even an apple domain! So I’m pretty sure the hackers were chatting to me to get more info from me. Like my new phone number I had just gotten today hoping to fix this problem. I’ll have to get another new one now. But maybe you can verify if that is an apple website. From what I found it’s feedback. Apple.com. I’ll include photos as I thought it was pretty funny this guys explanation for why his apple impersonation was below the mediocre line at best.

May 29, 2023 9:09 AM in response to Community User

If you are referring to this article where they are referring to iOS 16 and not iOS 16.5 --> List of available trusted root certificates in iOS 16, iPadOS 16, macOS 13, tvOS 16, and watchOS 9 - Apple Support (IN)

iOS 16, 16.3, and 16.5 have different Store Versions and Asset Versions. Please go through my entire post

This is the correct trust store version for iOS 16.5 - 2023032800. Please see the pic below on iOS 16.5 iPhone 12 Pro.

Learn about Available trusted root certificates for Apple operating systems - Apple Support

This is part of iOS updates which can be clearly seen below

All my devices, iPhone 8 (iOS 16.0), iPhone 12 Pro (iOS 16.1.1) & iPhone 13 Pro on iOS 16.1.1 also iPad Pro on iPadOS 16.1 are with Trust Store Version: 2022070700 and Trust Asset Version 18

iPhone SE (1st Gen) iOS 15.7 2022031500 and Trust Asset Version 18

Earlier, iPhone 8, SE (1st Gen), iPhone 12 Pro & iPhone 13 Pro on iOS 15.6.1 also iPad Pro on iPadOS 15.6.1 all are with Trust Store Version: 2022031500 and Trust Asset Version 17

iPhone 6 iOS 12.5.5 Trust Store Version 2018121000, Does not have Trust Asset Version

After updating my iPhone 6 to iOS 12.5.6 it still has Trust Store Version 2018121000, Does not have Trust Asset Version

There is an old discussion thread on Trust Asset Versions that may help you understand --> Trust asset version 11. - Apple Community

Please check the iOS versions on each device again

Learn about Available trusted root certificates for Apple operating systems - Apple Support

This is part of iOS updates which can be clearly seen below

iPhone 12 Pro iOS 16.3 Trust Store Version: 2022070700 and Trust Asset Version 20

iPhone 8 iOS 16.2 Trust Store Version: 2022070700 and Trust Asset Version 20

iPad Pro 9.7" iOS 16.2 Trust Store Version: 2022070700 and Trust Asset Version 20

iPhone 13 Pro iOS 16.2 Trust Store Version: 2022070700 and Trust Asset Version 20

I may have missed Asset Version 19

All my devices, iPhone 8 (iOS 16.0), iPhone 12 Pro (iOS 16.1.1) & iPhone 13 Pro on iOS 16.1.1 also iPad Pro on iPadOS 16.1 are with Trust Store Version: 2022070700 and Trust Asset Version 18

iPhone SE (1st Gen) iOS 15.7 2022031500 and Trust Asset Version 18

Earlier, iPhone 8, SE (1st Gen), iPhone 12 Pro & iPhone 13 Pro on iOS 15.6.1 also iPad Pro on iPadOS 15.6.1 all are with Trust Store Version: 2022031500 and Trust Asset Version 17

iPhone 6 iOS 12.5.5 Trust Store Version 2018121000, Does not have Trust Asset Version

After updated my iPhone 6 to iOS 12.5.6 it still has Trust Store Version 2018121000, Does not have Trust Asset Version

There is an old discussion thread on Trust Asset Versions that may help you understand --> Trust asset version 11. - Apple Community

Jun 8, 2023 8:29 PM in response to Community User

Hi, I bought this iPhone from Trust store version 2023032800 or Trust asset Version 20 and this is the 11 Pro Max iPhone. I did insert my previous phone number SIM card in it but I can’t cause it says CARRIER LOCK AND THIS DEVICE MIGHT BE RESTRICTED TO THE ORIGINAL CARRIER AND OR HAVE CERTAIN CAPABILITIES LIMITED. the previous carrier has to unlocked or confirm that’s all I’ve wanted please and thank you !

Jun 9, 2023 6:41 AM in response to Paulisaako

Your issue has nothing to do with the Trust Store Version; see the post right above yours. You bought a phone that is locked to a carrier. iPhones bought directly from Apple are not carrier-locked, but all other iPhones are.

You will have to ask the seller what carrier it is locked to, and either use the same carrier or contact the carrier and ask them to unlock it→How to unlock your iPhone for use with a different carrier - Apple Support.

Oct 8, 2023 6:09 PM in response to MissFiddy333

MissFiddy333 wrote:

I’m concerned my trust asset version is 1002. Apple only has up to 21 from research I have done. My mother’s phone on the same plan shows this …
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/520eac73-d7c0-4ad1-bd05-962998037915

I'm concerned I have a root certificate and it’s forced.

It is associated with a carrier (ISP) app you have installed.

I cannot remove it.

Remove the Comcast Xfinity app.

Doesn’t that usually mean a iphone is jail broken?

No.

I’ve had iPhones since the 1st one came out. I’ve never seen a root certificate installed on my iPhone. My family has the same xfinity service on the same plan and none of their iPhones show this root certificate.

Do they have the same carrier apps installed, or a carrier-recommended profile installed?

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/xfinity-mobile/wifi-hotspot-security-profile-wont-update/61ac09ce50b737295336a27f

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/secure-vs-open-xfinity-wifi

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/download-xfinity-wifi-app-prioritize-home-network

Oct 8, 2023 9:09 PM in response to MissFiddy333

MissFiddy333 wrote:

I’m concerned my trust asset version is 1002. Apple only has up to 21 from research I have done.

According to the following thread, the Trust Store Version is a date, followed by a sequence number. So 2022070700 translates to (July 7, 2022; sequence number 00).

The Trust Asset Version "is an arbitrary internal version number" and the version numbering "does not necessarily follow a linear count."

Trust Asset Version - Apple Community

So what's the problem?

Oct 9, 2023 8:23 AM in response to MissFiddy333

MissFiddy333 wrote:

Oh new weird scary issue…

Your fears will be used against you.

Your fears can be exploited, by advertisers, politicians, propagandists, scammers, and abusive exes.

Your fears are absolutely leverage to convince you to do things against your own interests.

Hacking and hackers and hacks hacks hacks are among those fears, and among those fears commonly exploited.

What can you do here? Start with the following, and with Safety Check and the checklists there:

Personal Safety User Guide - Apple Support

Linked at the bottom, there’s a PDF containing the whole document.

Here are some of the common scams (various of which absolutely try to use fear against us):

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Yes, iPhone and iPad can be exploited, but that’s been very rare and very much targeted against specific people. Targeting us ourselves and our fears (and our other string emotions, and our tiredness) is far, far more common.

Dec 1, 2023 2:17 PM in response to MrHoffman

part 2 of 2

Those that have loaded carrier apps can have carrier-related certificates and carrier-related Wi-Fi details loaded, as well. Some discussion of that was posted earlier in this thread.

Background on asymmetric public-key cryptography:

... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-key_cryptography

... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_key_infrastructure

And as I posted earlier in this thread: a Khan Academy intro.

Some of my previous replies in this thread:

... Trust Store Version - Apple Community

T3ddy19: What you have posted in your previous replies here can be inferred to indicate you are a target of an immensely sophisticated attack and related tooling worth millions of dollars—espionage-level exploit tooling—and far beyond the realm of what assistance can be rendered here, if what you have reported ("Although it sounds like Pegasus virus, it has a different name for this years version") can be corroborated. And that sort of digital forensics and that sort of corroboration just can't happen via forum postings. Reported security issues persistent and unresolved since 2021 —particularly those that persist past a factory reset and other recommendations—are not going to get addressed around here.

2/2

Dec 4, 2023 8:42 AM in response to JohnVinc

JohnVinc wrote:

2015111600 ipad version 9.3.5 (13G36)

Do you have a question?

2015111600 is the expected and very old trust store version for that very old iOS 9 version.

Old enough that I’d expect issues with the LetsEncrypt certificates too, absent local updates manually added for that.

If you’re concerned about security, an iPad that old, with an iOS version that old, has other and probably larger security issues.

Jan 8, 2024 8:18 AM in response to Bosede12-

Bosede12- wrote:

Face ID issues

For assistance with Face ID: If Face ID isn't working on your iPhone or iPad Pro - Apple Support

If you have gone through that sequence without resolution, then your iPhone or iPad TrueDepth hardware may have failed, and you’re headed for a repair or replacement if you want Face ID working again. Contact Apple Support, and discuss your options and alternatives.

The certificate trust store discussed in this thread is entirely unrelated to Face ID.

Oct 8, 2023 7:17 AM in response to T3ddy19

Just last night I noticed the same problem. My trust asset version is 1002. I’m very concerned. Have you had any luck figuring out any further information about this? My iPhone also had a root certificate under this number and it said it was an enforced certificate. I could not delete it. I have never installed root certificates or jail broken my phone.

Oct 8, 2023 5:24 PM in response to T3ddy19

I’m concerned my trust asset version is 1002. Apple only has up to 21 from research I have done. My mother’s phone on the same plan shows this …

I'm concerned I have a root certificate and it’s forced. I cannot remove it. Doesn’t that usually mean a iphone is jail broken? I’ve had iPhones since the 1st one came out. I’ve never seen a root certificate installed on my iPhone. My family has the same xfinity service on the same plan and none of their iPhones show this root certificate.

Oct 9, 2023 11:37 PM in response to MrHoffman

Good evening:)

Thank you for the super spooky hacker advice. I have tried the safety check a few times in last few days. I tried network reset. Powering on and off. I tried signing in and out of Apple ID. (Which did by the way get rid of the AAA certificate from “Xfinity”). I’ve contacted Xfinity and they said it is not their certificate and to go to the Apple Store for help. Another guy here in discussions has confirmed that surveysapple.com is not an Apple domain. He suggested I contact Apple security.

Interestingly I tried using my Apple ID to log into a school or work account under vpn in settings and it said I already am signed in! In settings I do not see a profile to try and get rid of. It’s a pretty good hack I think… I mean I cannot get rid of the certificate because the phone is being controlled by a imposter MDM and I have yet to figure out a way to find this profile. I am seeing however it may have something to do with health data. Do you have that app? I am unable to delete it and it pops up when I search profile in settings. I’ll include some pics.

Oct 15, 2023 8:51 AM in response to MissFiddy333

I’d wanted to add more pics, but by the time I removed all personal info, there was nothing left!

I’m not certain how long, had “mild”

things as far back as 2018, but things became very bad 2021-now. I’m going to try to send 2 pics related to previous discussion, MDM and screen recorder app (I did not purchase either), it seems like the MDM appears every year or more.

May 29, 2023 9:13 AM in response to Community User

Where did you see 2022070700? That is an almost year old version. The trust store version number is the date that the trust store was last updated, and for iOS 16.5 it is 2023032800.

In simple terms, The Trust Store contains the digital signatures of issuers of the SSL certificates that are used to encrypt access to websites and email servers. There are billions of SSL certificates in use around the world. They are issued by a relatively small number of agencies and companies (called Certificate Authorities, or CAs), who, as part of the process of issuing the certificate, verifies that the site is legitimate. When you visit a website the certificate from that site is sent to your browser. Your browser then verifies that the certificate was issued by one of the agencies whose signature is in the Trust Store. If the signature is not in the trust store you see a warning that the site may not be what it seems. The Trust Store is updated as part of an iOS update. It will change whenever the list of certificate authorities changes, which is very rare. The Trust Store version is actually the date and time the trust store contents were last updated. So, for example, version 2023032800 was last updated on March 28, 2023 at midnight.

The trust store version has absolutely nothing to do with security vulnerabilities. If you keep your Apple product updated to the latest version of MacOS or iOS it will be protected against all known vulnerabilities, despite whatever mis-information has been posted in the forum. 

Trust Store Version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.