Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Is there a way to have Live Photo on iPhone 12 turned off and stay off?

Hi everyone.

I can see this is not a new subject, so perhaps someone has cracked it. No matter what I do, on the odd occasion when I’ve managed to take a photo the camera defaults back to live photo without me changing anything.

Thanks for any thoughts.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12, iOS 16

Posted on May 29, 2023 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2023 5:53 AM

If you would like to set Live Photo to OFF and keep it OFF as default (Until you manually turn it ON), then Open Settings ➔ Camera ➔ Preserve Settings ➔ Live Photo: Set this to ON. What this action will do is that it will preserve the setting that you set the next time for Live Photo.

Now, you need to turn Live Photo OFF. Open the Camera app ➔ Tap on the UP arrow (Top) ➔ Tap on Live Photo symbol (Bottom Row) ➔ Tap on Live OFF. This action combined with the Preserve Settings in Step 1, will ensure that Live Photo does not turn ON again unless you manually turn it ON. See image below:

Axel F.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2023 5:53 AM in response to Mikedmu

If you would like to set Live Photo to OFF and keep it OFF as default (Until you manually turn it ON), then Open Settings ➔ Camera ➔ Preserve Settings ➔ Live Photo: Set this to ON. What this action will do is that it will preserve the setting that you set the next time for Live Photo.

Now, you need to turn Live Photo OFF. Open the Camera app ➔ Tap on the UP arrow (Top) ➔ Tap on Live Photo symbol (Bottom Row) ➔ Tap on Live OFF. This action combined with the Preserve Settings in Step 1, will ensure that Live Photo does not turn ON again unless you manually turn it ON. See image below:

Axel F.

Jun 2, 2023 12:28 PM in response to Mikedmu

No. It is not a camera fault. This is because the camera is taking instructions from the software. The procedure should work. How about trying the following:

Try and Force Restart your iPhone EXACTLY as shown below and see whether that resolves the issue:

• Press and quickly release Volume UP button
  • Press and quickly release Volume DOWN button
  • Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears and then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

(2)  Once you have completed the above procedure successfully, then you can carry out the initial procedure that listed in my response above whereby you would turn ON the Preserve Settings feature and then turn Live Photo feature OFF.

Axel F.

Jun 2, 2023 3:13 AM in response to Axel Foley

Hi Axel F

Thanks for the info. After carrying out the procedure I took a real photo and thought the fix had worked. To make sure I took another picture immediately and unfortunately it was a live image. Repeated photos only produced live images, and when I repeated the fix procedure I didn't even get 1 still photo.

Further thoughts would be appreciated. Could there be a camera fault?

Regards

Mikedmu

Is there a way to have Live Photo on iPhone 12 turned off and stay off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.