Apple TV+ forces to low resolution streaming and its unacceptable

Why does Apple TV+ currently not provide an option for users to choose their desired streaming resolution?

As a paying subscriber of Apple TV+, I strongly believe that I should have the authority to decide the resolution at which I stream the content. It is disheartening to see that Apple TV+ forces a low-resolution streaming experience without providing an option to adjust it to a higher quality.

This lack of control over something as fundamental as resolution undermines the trust and fairness between the service provider and the user.

Streaming services have advanced significantly, offering stunning visuals and immersive experiences. However, Apple TV+'s decision to limit the streaming resolution diminishes the enjoyment and value for subscribers who expect a premium service.

Posted on May 30, 2023 2:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 2:49 AM

I just got three months of Apple TV my 15 pro and decided to try it out. I’m literally just getting 720p or lower. This is unacceptable and I won’t be continuing after the three free months. My computer can handle 4k and beyond. My tv is a 120 htz 4k oled. What’s the point of Apple TV if I’m forced to use a device to get any quality.

Similar questions

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2023 2:49 AM in response to mouryarishik

I just got three months of Apple TV my 15 pro and decided to try it out. I’m literally just getting 720p or lower. This is unacceptable and I won’t be continuing after the three free months. My computer can handle 4k and beyond. My tv is a 120 htz 4k oled. What’s the point of Apple TV if I’m forced to use a device to get any quality.

Dec 15, 2023 4:25 AM in response to mouryarishik

This is a bit late to reply, but I was having the same issue as you.

Watching a movie on apple tv+ on chrome browser on my windows pc (10900k+3090) so no hardware issues.. but the quality is terrible because of licensing rights.

My fix was to go into the microsoft store and download the Apple Tv app and sign in there and now it’s much better quality!

hope this helps.

May 30, 2023 2:24 PM in response to Mac Jim ID

Just so you I am not a noob, so your first para is nonsense in my case, I thought it was obvious otherwise ofc I would have shared my setup details. So for ****'s sake, stop asking have you tried this or that. I've done literally everything.

Whatever the variables are in my setup, I know my setup and I know when and exactly how my internet speed drops.

On top of that, I have already mentioned 1080p resolution from Apple TV+ service never works for me, and other streaming services/websites work without a single hiccup, what part of that simple English sentence is not clear to you?

You can view 4K on your TV, Mac, and iPhone with 1 Gb of internet, okay, but dude that has absolutely nothing to do with my post in this thread.

Now to the main point, I love Apple software and hardware, but I hate how some people just plainly deny that Apple can even do something wrong. There should be 0 reasons for anyone who has already paid for apple tv+ service to buy Mac and get 1GB internet in order to use what he/she has already paid for.

Is asking for a dropdown to toggle resolution from a Trillion dollar company a big deal?

I assumed that Apple might be reading these community posts, so I just wanted to make a big deal out of it to highlight this issue, that's it, so sorry for wasting our time.

Yes, The Prehistoric Planet series is amazing in 4K, and you know what, it's amazing in 1080p as well.

May 30, 2023 4:22 AM in response to mouryarishik

On what device do you get this lower-than-desired resolution?

How low is the resolution that you get?

By default, for most devices, Apple TV+ streams in the best possible quality that the device supports.

For web access, Apple TV+ is said to be limited to 1080p. For devices with 4K screens, the Apple TV app could stream in 4K.

Your experience seems to be different from most other users. There must be something about your setup or locality or connectivity that causes this.

May 30, 2023 8:31 AM in response to Urquhart1244

I can't find a setting on iOS or while watching on the browser. I am using Chrome beta and Arch Linux. So ideally I should be getting 1080p.

Occasionally if the resolution drops down for the sake of quick buffering, that I understand. But when I watch high-quality content, I am happy to stop and let it buffer, that should be my decision cuz I paid for it, and I am already having 200MB/s internet :|

The worst part is, officially it's written 1080p support for the browser, bro I can almost say I have never seen a full HD resolution provided to me.

The masterpiece Prehistoric Planet can only stream at 720p for me, no matter what I do (its trailor on youtube has more resolution than the show on apple tv itself), then how apple tv is it any different when it comes to quality service as compared to any other free website that streams it at 720p?

May 30, 2023 8:59 AM in response to mouryarishik

Chrome beta
Arch Linux

That’s two unknowns for me.

Apple mentions Windows and Android, but no further detailed system requirements. Watch in a web browser - Apple Support. Not sure what libraries it relies on.

Verify that DRM is supported and that the connection to the screen is HDCP compliant. No HDCP is known to scale down to SD resolution.

May 30, 2023 8:59 AM in response to mouryarishik

Making a subreddit private is not the standard one should use to determine that the Apple TV+ service is bad. There is something in your setup that is giving you a bad experience. Do you have a SmartTV to see if the service is specific to your device? Even with 200MB internet speed, it does not mean that you will maintain that speed under all circumstances. When the connection slows it does reduce quality instead of stopping to buffer and if you prefer an option to stop and buffer instead of lowering quality, then maybe submit a feature request. Have you tried it with the Safari browser instead of the beta version of chrome or better yet, the Apple TV app?

I am able to view 4K on my TV, Mac, and iPhone with no problems. It does not even buffer or lower the quality although I am using 1 Gb internet. The Prehistoric Planet series is amazing in 4K.

May 30, 2023 2:26 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks for highlighting this. Yes DRM is supported:

$ lsmod | grep drm
nvidia_drm               2
nvidia_modeset           3 nvidia_drm
drm_buddy                1 amdgpu
drm_ttm_helper           1 amdgpu
ttm                      2 amdgpu,drm_ttm_helper
drm_display_helper       1 amdgpu
cec                      1 drm_display_helper

The connection is also HDCP compliant.

$ xrandr --prop
HDCP Content Type: HDCP Type0 
		supported: HDCP Type0, HDCP Type1
	Content Protection: Undesired 
		supported: Undesired, Desired, Enabled
	vrr_capable: 1 
		range: (0, 1)
	abm level: 0 
		range: (0, 4)
	max bpc: 16 
		range: (8, 16)
	underscan vborder: 0 
		range: (0, 128)
	underscan hborder: 0 
		range: (0, 128)
	underscan: off 
		supported: off, on, auto
	scaling mode: None 
		supported: None, Full, Center, Full aspect
	link-status: Good 
		supported: Good, Bad
	CTM: 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 
		0 1 
	CONNECTOR_ID: 78 
		supported: 78
	non-desktop: 0

This means no scaling down is going on.

May 30, 2023 3:55 PM in response to mouryarishik

mouryarishik wrote:
Just so you I am not a noob, so your first para is nonsense in my case, I thought it was obvious otherwise ofc I would have shared my setup details. So for ****'s sake, stop asking have you tried this or that. I've done literally everything.
Whatever the variables are in my setup, I know my setup and I know when and exactly how my internet speed drops.

On top of that, I have already mentioned 1080p resolution from Apple TV+ service never works for me, and other streaming services/websites work without a single hiccup, what part of that simple English sentence is not clear to you?

I explained my setup to show what does work, there is obviously something wrong with your set up that is not working properly. I didn't say that 1Gb service is needed, it is just the setup I have that works. You have yet to say if the trouble persists with the Apple TV app that is designed to play the shows or a different browser, instead of a beta version of Chrome. Since you are not a noob, you realize that a web browser performance will be impacted by any add-on extensions, ad blockers, or antivirus.

I assumed that Apple might be reading these community posts, so I just wanted to make a big deal out of it to highlight this issue, that's it, so sorry for wasting our time.

This is not the forum to "make a big deal" out of things, it is for people looking for help and suggestions with their issues. If you are looking for support from Apple, then I'm sure you know the link to get you there.

Oct 31, 2023 8:42 PM in response to mouryarishik

“As a paying subscriber of Apple TV+, I strongly believe that I should have the authority to decide the resolution at which I stream the content. It is disheartening to see that Apple TV+ forces a low-resolution streaming experience without providing an option to adjust it to a higher quality.”

Apple TV does give you options in which you:

1. Can view the Highest res your tv/monitor supports
  2. Can down res
  3. Match content 

A. Dynamic Range

B. Frame Rate

4.  Set HDMI  Output YCbCR, RGB Hi/Lo

5.  Set Chroma  4:4:4 or 4:2:0

6. Check  HDMI Connection

7.  Display Dolby Vision, HDR 10+ , HDR 10/HDR

-Some Setting performance will also depend on what generation  AppleTv box you  

are using.

-Some setting performancewill depend on your isp, if they throttle you.

-Some setting performance will depend on if you connect the box wireless or wired,

imho, wired is best.

Apr 21, 2024 5:36 PM in response to mouryarishik

Super frustrating. I've read that if your device is in-between 4k and 1080, the Apple TV app will limit your stream to 1080. I purchased a 4k movie and it looks like complete garbage at 1080 on a 32" 1440p monitor. If I had known that Apple was in the business of needlessly throttling my purchase, I wouldn't have bought the movie. This needs to be fixed.

Apple TV+ forces to low resolution streaming and its unacceptable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.