Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buying an iPhone on Apple EU websites and shipping

Is it possible to buy an iPhone on the Apple EU website and have it shipped to South Africa? How can it be done and what are the shipping costs associated with it? Which EU countries' websites are best to purchase from? Does it have an e-sim because in South Africa we still use sim cards, but as nano sim cards.

Posted on May 30, 2023 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2023 10:06 AM

You may find that after paying shipping and insurance that you won't be saving much money.

In addition, I know that Apple will not sell internationally, and it may require the same of any official vendor.

If you buy a EU model, there may effectively be no warranty. Warranty restriction! - Legal - iOS Warranty Document Us - Apple - "IMPORTANT RESTRICTION FOR iPHONE, iPAD AND APPLE TV SERVICE. Apple may restrict warranty service for iPhone, iPad and Apple TV to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the device."

The warranty does not outright deny warranty coverage in other countries but there are many limitations to the effect Apple almost certainly will refuse to do repairs under warranty or even repairs at all except in the country of purchase. The device would have to be sent to a friend in the country of purchase to handle any repair claims because Apple will not handle international shipping.

Make sure it will work in your country.--> 5G and LTE. Find the iPhone that’s right for your country or region. - iPhone - Supported 5G and LTE networks - Apple

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2023 10:06 AM in response to Irene3009

You may find that after paying shipping and insurance that you won't be saving much money.

In addition, I know that Apple will not sell internationally, and it may require the same of any official vendor.

If you buy a EU model, there may effectively be no warranty. Warranty restriction! - Legal - iOS Warranty Document Us - Apple - "IMPORTANT RESTRICTION FOR iPHONE, iPAD AND APPLE TV SERVICE. Apple may restrict warranty service for iPhone, iPad and Apple TV to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the device."

The warranty does not outright deny warranty coverage in other countries but there are many limitations to the effect Apple almost certainly will refuse to do repairs under warranty or even repairs at all except in the country of purchase. The device would have to be sent to a friend in the country of purchase to handle any repair claims because Apple will not handle international shipping.

Make sure it will work in your country.--> 5G and LTE. Find the iPhone that’s right for your country or region. - iPhone - Supported 5G and LTE networks - Apple

May 31, 2023 10:47 AM in response to Niel

Well d*mn on point 2 & 3. Point 3 actually does matter because it's extremely expensive to purchase an iPhone in SA due to it's weak currency against the USD, EURO & GBP so it did not hurt to ask & to get more information or gain some sort of clarity on it. At this rate it might be a better option (I stand to be corrected) to purchase an iPhone when I'm in the said country where it's more affordable. South Africa does not have an Apple store, instead we have an iStore nationwide which is a reseller and they are more expensive, so there's that.

May 31, 2023 12:29 PM in response to Irene3009

Irene3009 wrote:

At this rate it might be a better option (I stand to be corrected) to purchase an iPhone when I'm in the said country where it's more affordable.

You can do that, just note that you do not want to buy it in the USA if you want a SIM card, that you note the channel requirements as set out in the link I provide, and you keep your fingers crossed about anything going wrong with it. Even if you are prepared to pay for a repair, you may find that is not possible in South Africa if you have a model designed for a different country.

Feb 19, 2024 5:51 AM in response to Irene3009

It is possible to buy an iPhone on the Apple EU website and have it shipped to South Africa, but there are a few things that you need to consider:

Compatibility: Before purchasing an iPhone from the EU website, make sure to check that it will work with your carrier in South Africa. Some models may not support all the bands and frequencies used by South African carriers.

Taxes and duties: When importing goods from other countries, you may be subject to import taxes, customs duties, and VAT. These fees can vary depending on the country of origin and the value of the goods. You will need to check with the customs authority in South Africa for more information on the fees you may have to pay.

Shipping costs: The shipping costs for an iPhone from the EU website can vary depending on the country of origin, shipping method, and location of delivery. You will need to check the Apple website for specific shipping cost information.

E-Sim: Some iPhone models sold in the EU may have an e-SIM option. However, you can also choose the SIM-free option and insert your own nano SIM card from a South African carrier.

Buying an iPhone on Apple EU websites and shipping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.