Mail app says there is “No Password Provided”

Why does my mail app insist on refusing to download my mail and say there is “No Password Provided” when I have Settings open and I can clearly see that there is a password there?

[Re-titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on May 30, 2023 12:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2023 2:43 AM

Here is an update.

I believe that this is an Apple problem relating to the way the Mail app interacts with Settings. This is for two reasons:

First, because the settings that I have for the mail account in question work perfectly well to access my mail on the web.

Secondly, because they also work in Outlook, which I am now using as the Mail app no longer allows me to send mail, insisting that either my email address or password are incorrect, which they clearly are not.

This is starting to affect my mental health, causing me severe anxiety issues. I can’t believe that this is an issue unique to me!

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2023 2:43 AM in response to Peterlg

Here is an update.

I believe that this is an Apple problem relating to the way the Mail app interacts with Settings. This is for two reasons:

First, because the settings that I have for the mail account in question work perfectly well to access my mail on the web.

Secondly, because they also work in Outlook, which I am now using as the Mail app no longer allows me to send mail, insisting that either my email address or password are incorrect, which they clearly are not.

This is starting to affect my mental health, causing me severe anxiety issues. I can’t believe that this is an issue unique to me!

Dec 17, 2023 9:37 AM in response to Peterlg

I want to get this success on record. I ran into this hair pulling situation after changing my internet provider password on my iPhone. I was on the verge of doing the delete-setup routine but found this worked instead. I have an iPhone, iPad and iMac all using iCloud. I thought maybe the percolation time for changes through iCloud might be getting in my way. I shut down both my iPhone and iPad which both had the correct password already entered. I waited obverse five minutes and then tried my iMac. It asked me to enter my password to retrieve new emails and I did that. Everything worked. I then waited a few minutes and then turned on my iPhone. While praying intensely I tried Mail on the phone and it worked! Same result for the iPad. I’ll leave it to those more expert than me to work out the reasons.

side note: I use a password manager and had to go through both it and the passwords in Settings to get them all in synch.

Jun 9, 2023 8:16 AM in response to Peterlg

Peterlg wrote:

Here is an update.

You need to go here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us not an Apple or iphone issue since Outlook is stating your credential is wrong. More than likely need to enable 2 factor authentication.

Mail app says there is “No Password Provided”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.