how accurate in feet and inches is the gps coordinates on apple watch ultra?

I am trying to find some property markers using my Apple Watch Ultra 2 by reading the GPS coordinates given via the Compass App. How accurate are these coordinates? I am in a wide open space with very no overhead obstructions.

Should I be using a different, perhaps more accurate app?

I would love to be within a 3 foot accuracy range, if possible, but knowing the accuracy spec, on the average, would be great. I am always using the watch in conjunction with my phone.

Apple Watch Ultra

Posted on May 30, 2023 6:33 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

May 30, 2023 6:48 PM in response to ChairManCanton

See the footnote at the bottom of:

Use the compass on iPhone - Apple Support

Important: The accuracy of the compass can be affected by magnetic or environmental interference; even the magnets in the iPhone EarPods can cause a deviation. Use the digital compass only for basic navigation assistance. Don’t rely on it to determine precise location, proximity, distance, or direction.

May 30, 2023 7:02 PM in response to Chattanoogan

I have two tasks. 1. I have gps coordinates from our county auditor for property stakes (if they are actually still in the ground). I want to get I the general area and use a metal detector to find the stakes- hopefully- without digging up my yard. 2. I have an event rental company that puts tents up in pretty much the same place each year. I have marked all 4 corners of each tent with large washers held in place with spikes that are sunk just under the turf. I can find them by triangulation with tape measures stretched from permanent locations. It takes a lot of time to do this. If I could take a gps reading that gets me within a 3 foot diameter (or maybe 6’), I may be able to find the markers with a metal detector. Thank you for you time.

May 30, 2023 7:31 PM in response to ChairManCanton

Gotcha.

First, the datum used by the county matters … a LOT.

If they used datum “A” and your mobile device uses datum “B” you might never find what you’re looking for.

To find the corner monuments, the watch might get you within range to find it … or it might not … or the metal monument just might not be there.

I can envision a frustrating day w/o closure if you can’t find the monument. (i.e. is it simply “not there” or did we “miss it”)

The tenting corners is a more interesting problem as you and your device determine the datum and you just need to return to the same general coordinates reliably enough to employ the metal detector.

Lat / Long are notoriously difficult to work with; I’d suggest an app that reads in Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM) or it’s simplified, easier to use cousin - US National Grid (USNG) coordinates.

There are quite a few iOS apps with this capability; not sure about WatchOS.

how accurate in feet and inches is the gps coordinates on apple watch ultra?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.