OS X Mojave Calendar won't open file

For a few years I had Calendar open a Backup script at a specific time in the morning. Now I can't even set up the event and save this function. The Event stays, but the only alarm it will save is a reminder.

The problem seems to have manifested fairly recently, but I haven't run any new upgrades for a while. (And no, I'm not upgrading the OS; I have legacy stuff here I need to use every day.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 31, 2023 3:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2023 7:49 AM

Apparently this is the answer.

https://ask.metafilter.com/292916/Why-wont-Open-File-Calendar-alerts-stick

That calendar was in iCloud, and, apparently that's a problem. When I turned off Calendars in iCloud, the script kicked right in. Thanks for all your help!

8 replies

Jun 1, 2023 11:01 AM in response to Jakehotep

With Calendar quit, try moving this file to the D

esktop in case we want to put it back...

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.CalendarNotification.CalNCService/Data/Library/Preferences

~ tilde indicates  your user library folder

Apple hid the Users' Library folders...

Method 1:

1. From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.
  2. In the window that opens, enter ~/Library, and click Go.

May 31, 2023 1:20 PM in response to Jakehotep

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

Jun 1, 2023 4:12 AM in response to BDAqua

Sorry. Neither of those worked. At least using the second option I was able to at least to get Calendar to acknowledge that I was asking for a file to be opened. Now it only says "I can't open the file." Cryptic!

The way it's been working lately is that I couldn't even save the option to open the backup file.

Thanks for your help.

OS X Mojave Calendar won't open file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.