Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Recovering a locked iphone

How does one recover an employee's locked iphone and factory reset so we can issue to a new employee?

the previous employee doesnt remember the passcode.

Posted on May 31, 2023 5:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2023 7:59 AM

Passcode? Connect the device to a computer If you forgot your iPhone passcode - Apple Support

Password? Have the employee try iforgot.Apple.com to reset.

Of course, you should be using some MDM to manage your devices to not rely on any individual.

10 replies

May 31, 2023 8:47 AM in response to muguy

the employee is a dead-end as far as help with passcode and password. I've got zero info as far as credentials to login. I've made an appointment with a service center to get them to wipe it clean back to factory default. I think with the verizon receipt and my ID, I should be able to get open to give to another employee.

May 31, 2023 9:08 AM in response to arkphlegm

Going forward, if your company is going to issue iPhone's to employees, you should be using Mobile Device Management on them. This would ensure you have access to the device when the phone is returned.

See this link about it --> Intro to mobile device management profiles - Apple Support

If you are in possession of the original purchase receipt, you can ask Apple to unlock the phone with verifiable proof of ownership. Otherwise, you have a useless device on your hands.

May 31, 2023 9:13 AM in response to muguy

Good info, I am going to start a request online. It states they cant unlock a managed device. I dont think this is a managed device, everyone just created an appleid and went to work. Any appleid credentials i enter would two-factor to the former employees new cell phone, if apple cant work around that then we will atleast know we tried.

May 31, 2023 11:34 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Apple replied to my request for turning off activation lock was denied. stating the device was owned by a business. So despite not being managed, it appears that is a dead end. We will see what the service tech says when i get there with the reciept. I confirmed with the owner that he will be using the MDM feature on the next

round of devices. So much thanks for that info.

Recovering a locked iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.