Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Restoring a 2015 MacBook Pro that already has Monterey

I just bought a used 2015 MacBook Pro and it was loaded with Monterey. I would like to turn it into my own, and wondered what the fastest way to do this is? Will I need to re-install Monterey 12.6.2, or can I turn it into my own and keep that on there? Thanks in advance

Earlier Mac models

Posted on May 31, 2023 8:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2023 8:19 AM

cclan5 wrote:

I just bought a used 2015 MacBook Pro and it was loaded with Monterey. I would like to turn it into my own, and wondered what the fastest way to do this is? Will I need to re-install Monterey 12.6.2, or can I turn it into my own and keep that on there? Thanks in advance

It would be the same as here— What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

The older macOS installer backups on this server:

How to download macOS

How to download macOS - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2023 8:19 AM in response to cclan5

cclan5 wrote:

It would be the same as here— What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

The older macOS installer backups on this server:

How to download macOS

How to download macOS - Apple Support

May 31, 2023 8:19 AM in response to cclan5

If the previous owner did not erase it you should.

click here ➜ What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Restoring does not necessarily change the installed OS version, nor does it prevent you from updating to it again if you chose to install an older version. You can also if supported update to a newer version.

click here ➜ How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

May 31, 2023 11:07 AM in response to cclan5

cclan5 wrote:

I'm concerned that the age of the unit might make it difficult to re-install Monterey 12.6.2

It should not. 2015 iMacs support the internet recovery option which makes extremely simple to reinstall macOS should it need to. Once it's up and running's even if it's on a lower version, updating macOS is still just a matter of downloading the installer from the Mac App Store and running it.

But as I said, restoring the Mac should not change the installed version unless you actually follow steps to get an older version.

which is as I understand it the most recent version that can be installed on this mid 2015 model.

Correct. Monterey is the newest version that can be installed on that model. Missed the fact it is a 2015 model. sorry.

Restoring a 2015 MacBook Pro that already has Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.