Don't have permission to view file contents message

Out of nowhere giving me error message on macbook pro that I don't have permission to view contents of my desktop, downloads and few other standard folders. All the icons on my desktop have disappeared.

I updated w/ most recent software update to Ventura 13.4 but didn't help. Any ideas?? thank you in advance.

iMac 21.5″

Posted on May 31, 2023 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2023 4:04 PM

Hi amynicmac,

To clarify, do you recall any changes prior to this issue? Potentially new accounts, any tweaks you recall making in System Settings? Anything like that?

We'd also, recommend taking a look at the steps below:

"If you don’t have permission to open a file or folder, you may be able to change the permissions settings.

1. On your Mac, select the item, then choose File > Get Info, or press Command-I.
  2. Click the arrow  next to Sharing & Permissions to expand the section.
  3. Click the pop-up menu next to your user name to see the permissions settings.
  4. If you’re not logged in as an administrator, you may need to click the lock  to unlock it, then enter an administrator name and password (or use Touch ID or your Apple Watch).
  5. Change the permissions to either Read & Write or “Read only.”

If you can’t change the permissions, contact an administrator of your Mac or the owner of the file or folder."

Cheers!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2023 4:04 PM in response to amynicmac

Hi amynicmac,

To clarify, do you recall any changes prior to this issue? Potentially new accounts, any tweaks you recall making in System Settings? Anything like that?

We'd also, recommend taking a look at the steps below:

"If you don’t have permission to open a file or folder, you may be able to change the permissions settings.

1. On your Mac, select the item, then choose File > Get Info, or press Command-I.
  2. Click the arrow  next to Sharing & Permissions to expand the section.
  3. Click the pop-up menu next to your user name to see the permissions settings.
  4. If you’re not logged in as an administrator, you may need to click the lock  to unlock it, then enter an administrator name and password (or use Touch ID or your Apple Watch).
  5. Change the permissions to either Read & Write or “Read only.”

If you can’t change the permissions, contact an administrator of your Mac or the owner of the file or folder."

Cheers!

Don't have permission to view file contents message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.