restore backup and messages

I need to restore my phone to a backup but iMessages wasn’t being backed up at the time. I made a backup of iMessages tonight and wondering if I can restore the old backup, then synchronize the messages from the upload of tonight?

iPhone 14

Posted on May 31, 2023 8:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2023 11:40 PM

See the article What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

Your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch backups only include information and settings stored on your device. They do not include information already stored in iCloud such as Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, Notes, Reminders, Voice Memos4, Messages in iCloud, iCloud Photos,

2. When you use Messages in iCloud or turn on iCloud Photos, your content is automatically stored in iCloud. That means that they're not included in your iCloud Backup.

Read Restore all content to iPhone from a backup - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2023 11:40 PM in response to petefromfargo

See the article What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

Your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch backups only include information and settings stored on your device. They do not include information already stored in iCloud such as Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, Notes, Reminders, Voice Memos4, Messages in iCloud, iCloud Photos,

2. When you use Messages in iCloud or turn on iCloud Photos, your content is automatically stored in iCloud. That means that they're not included in your iCloud Backup.

Read Restore all content to iPhone from a backup - Apple Support

May 31, 2023 8:47 PM in response to petefromfargo

petefromfargo Said:

"restore backup and messages : I need to restore my phone to a backup but iMessages wasn’t being backed up at the time. I made a backup of iMessages tonight and wondering if I can restore the old backup, then synchronize the messages from the upload of tonight?"

-------

Yes. Enable Messages on both devices and all will sync.

Saving a Thread:

Export these to get a complete transcript. Use my User Tip for this: How to Save or Print a Complete iPhone Messages Thread - User Tip

restore backup and messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.