Cannot allow filtering in Numbers?

I want to filter a list of purchases to show only certain items. Numbers will not let me turn on filtering? Is there something I need to do first? To the right of the spreadsheet, if Filter is highlighted, I cannot switch the Filters toggle to on, and in the Organize menu, "Turn filters on" is grayed out. Thanks for any suggestions.

Mac mini, macOS 13.3

Posted on Jun 2, 2023 4:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2023 8:26 AM

I got it. I had to choose "Text" and then "text contains" and then type in what I wanted, rather than choosing "quick filter" and typing in the item. This leads to an output that you can't do anything with and I guess is just meant for a quick glance. Thank you.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2023 8:26 AM in response to SGIII

I got it. I had to choose "Text" and then "text contains" and then type in what I wanted, rather than choosing "quick filter" and typing in the item. This leads to an output that you can't do anything with and I guess is just meant for a quick glance. Thank you.

Jun 2, 2023 6:24 AM in response to RKNYC

Have you already added a filter, either through Add a Filter ... in the Organize > Filter sidebar or by clicking a column letter and choosing Quick Filter... from the contextual menu?

If you haven't done so already see this entry in the Numbers User Guide for Mac:

Filter data in Numbers on Mac - Apple Support

(You can also access the User Guide via Help > Numbers Help in your menu).

SG

Cannot allow filtering in Numbers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.