Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

I’ve transferred data and photos to a new iPad 6. Apps did not transfer. How can I retrieve the apps?

I’ve transferred data and photos to a new iPad 6. Apps did not transfer. How can I retrieve the apps?

iPad mini 6, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jun 2, 2023 7:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2023 8:40 AM

Apps are not directly transferred between devices. For Apps, the transfer process creates a record of the Apps that are installed on the donor iPad - and it is this record of installed Apps that is transferred to the target device. For Apps that are still available for download from the App Store, the corresponding Apps are automatically downloaded and installed from the App Store.

Not all Apps will necessarily continue to be available. Apps may have been removed or retired from the App Store by the respective App Developer. Some Apps may have been abandoned - and may not be compatible with the new device. Where a compatible App is not available, you’ll not be able to transfer/install the App. 

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2023 8:40 AM in response to Johncornel

Apps are not directly transferred between devices. For Apps, the transfer process creates a record of the Apps that are installed on the donor iPad - and it is this record of installed Apps that is transferred to the target device. For Apps that are still available for download from the App Store, the corresponding Apps are automatically downloaded and installed from the App Store.

Not all Apps will necessarily continue to be available. Apps may have been removed or retired from the App Store by the respective App Developer. Some Apps may have been abandoned - and may not be compatible with the new device. Where a compatible App is not available, you’ll not be able to transfer/install the App. 

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.