Installation Verification problems with Mountain Lion and Mavericks

Upfront data:

Built an older Mac Pro to play some old games and run Final Cut Pro HD. Now wanting to update so the browsers work better (even if not perfectly) with today's websites. Running Firefox in order to use the web at all.

Mac Pro 3,1

Dual Quad Core 3.0 GHz Xeons

Currently running Lion 10.7.5

32Gb RAM

Vid Card: Radeon HD5870

Everything runs fine on the current system and OS (Except Safari, which is basically useless on todays website)- even graphic intensive games.

I have tried multiple times (more than 2 dozen) to install Mountain Lion from 3 different download sites, including the download from Apple. All get exactly the same error: "Cannot verify, may be corrupt, delete and redownload." Have tried 10.8, 10.8.2, 10.8.4, 10.8.5 – each multiple times.

I have checked the date, both using Settings and in Terminal. I have tried in Safe Mode. I have reset NVRAM.

No effect.

I then thought: "Well, I'll just skip 10.8 and go to 10.9 Mavericks. Downloaded that from Apple. Same error as with Mountain Lion.

Can't really find anything on searches other than the date issue. And I'm thinking there is no way I have all corrupt files from 3 different sites, downloaded using different machines. Something on my system must be causing this.

Anyone know a resource or have experience working through this?

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Jun 2, 2023 11:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2023 9:33 PM

Disconnect from the Internet & set the Date back to 20009 for Snow Leopard, 2012 for ML, then see if you can run the Install MacsOS ******* App in Applications, so expired Certificates are not expired.

Similar questions

5 replies

Jun 3, 2023 6:55 AM in response to BDAqua

How simple! Thank you a thousand times. One minor correction: make sure the date entered is no newer than the date of the installer. Originally tried today in 2012 , then after that failing, I thought to check the specific installer creation date (day and month) and set the system date to a short time after that. Voilà!

Why have none of the other "solutions" included this? (rhetorical). I'm headed over to all the "fixer" sites I visited and making myself out to be some kinda genius (actually, I'll credit you...).

Again, thank you immensely!!

Installation Verification problems with Mountain Lion and Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.