Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Mail account offline

Hi,

My mail account has gone offline on my iMac. The little lightning bolt symbol has appeared saying mail account offline. If I click it, it won't let me sign in. The error message is below.

I've tried Mail>Take accounts online, which didn't work. I've tried deleting the Gmail account and re-adding it from scratch, but when I try to add it again, I get the same message. This is exactly the same account that I use on my iPad and iPhone and there has been no problem with either of those devices.

My Mac runs High Sierra - if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any help.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 2, 2023 3:11 PM

6 replies

Jun 2, 2023 3:34 PM in response to Rollins1

Rollins1 wrote:

Hi,

My mail account has gone offline on my iMac. The little lightning bolt symbol has appeared saying mail account offline. If I click it, it won't let me sign in. The error message is below.
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/42c920a2-0d0c-4afe-8a7d-df1249c91a88

I've tried Mail>Take accounts online, which didn't work. I've tried deleting the Gmail account and re-adding it from scratch, but when I try to add it again, I get the same message. This is exactly the same account that I use on my iPad and iPhone and there has been no problem with either of those devices.

My Mac runs High Sierra - if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Start here https://support.google.com/mail/?hl=en

Jun 2, 2023 3:44 PM in response to Rollins1

What year model iMac?

see > Identify your iMac model - Apple Support

The message clearly states the problem. Your Mail, Safari and other app’s in High Sierra are too old and out dated to work.

If you can not update the iMac to a later macOS version, then you will be limited to using a third party browser like Chrome, FireFox or Brave to access your Mail account.

The other option, is to consider replacing the older iMac with a new one that can run the latest macOS.

Mail account offline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.