Multiple Trash Folders is Annoying

Once again we have a change that I doubt anyone asked for and annoys a ton of people. Can't there be a way to put all deleted mail into ONE trash folder? I do see a benefit to having an inbox for each of my accounts but if I choose, I should only have one trash folder. Under each account, when expanded I also have Trash for Google, Deleted Messages for iCloud etc. I have the settings to Delete or Empty Trash when exiting Mail but it does not remove them from all of the mailboxes. This matters to me when I'm trying to make sure spam or a suspicious message is gone from the computer but I have to check them all to be sure. It did not used to be this way and I don't understand why it is now.

MacBook Pro (M2, 2022)

Posted on Jun 3, 2023 5:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2023 8:23 AM

"on my Mac" files have been copied to private storage literally on your Mac, and are not the same as the ones on your email servers.

I can not think of any compelling reason to have a trash folder among "on my Mac" folders. if it were mine, I would delete the content and remove that user-created mailbox.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2023 8:23 AM in response to FM98U

"on my Mac" files have been copied to private storage literally on your Mac, and are not the same as the ones on your email servers.

I can not think of any compelling reason to have a trash folder among "on my Mac" folders. if it were mine, I would delete the content and remove that user-created mailbox.

Jun 3, 2023 8:01 AM in response to ku4hx

I did that and it does put them all there, which I can close and not have to see three, I removed the existing labeled trash ones from Favorites. However something to note is that the deleted messages are also in On My Mac, and when I emptied the trash in All Trash, they are still in the trash folders under On My Mac until I close Mail.

Multiple Trash Folders is Annoying

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.