Photo albums and folders change on their own

The order in which I put my folders and albums change on their own after I quit working on them. I have to keep rearranging them to their correct position.

Does anyone have this problem?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jun 3, 2023 11:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2023 8:18 AM

The order can change, if the albums are sorted by the date. The date of an album depends on the items in the album, and ich you change the items on a n album the date of the album and the enclosing folder can change.

Or are your albums sorted manually? Then iCloud Photos could be changing the sort order, if the albums are sorted differently on other synced devices.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2023 8:18 AM in response to jami173

The order can change, if the albums are sorted by the date. The date of an album depends on the items in the album, and ich you change the items on a n album the date of the album and the enclosing folder can change.

Or are your albums sorted manually? Then iCloud Photos could be changing the sort order, if the albums are sorted differently on other synced devices.

Jun 4, 2023 9:38 AM in response to jami173

"Sorted by Date" might mean two different things--I'm not sure that you and léonie were meaning the same thing: you can sort the pictures inside an album by date, but you can also sort the albums by date inside a folder. If you control-click on a folder (like the My Albums folder) you get a menu including sort, like this:

I sort albums in a folder by title and set the titles for many of my albums to start with the date-- that way, even if I include a newly scanned older picture, the albums stay in the same order. I also use other folders for albums I may want to title differently or that it's OK for them to move about.

Photo albums and folders change on their own

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.