Can not download from the iCloud to my new PowerBook pro.

Dea Sir;

I just finally got my new PowerBook Pro and I am trying to download the files from iCloud. It just has not downloaded 100% for the past 72hrs. When I try to download a folder it tells me that "The item couldn't be downloaded. Please check your internet connection, then try again".

Whoerver if I choose the file individually it dows. If I choose multiple files it does not, but if I click each one individually it will download then one after the other.

Now this will take for ever to down load as you can imagen.

Do you have any suggestion? I can understand what is happening.

Posted on Jun 3, 2023 5:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2023 8:12 AM

iggiv Said:

"Can not download from the iCloud to my new PowerBook pro.: […\I found out I could not download the FOLDERS and got a message ‘The item couldn't be downloaded. Please check your internet connection, then try again.’[…]”.

———-

Getting Downloads to Work:

Works practical for all out there. There’s all sorts of ways to troubleshot this. Network connective seems to be the culprit here. So, I would start with the following.

Troubleshooting iCloud Logins:

A. Go here: If you can't Connect or Sign in to iCloud - Apple Support

B. Try Safe Mode:

In Safe Mode, login items do not run, and corrupt system files(i.e. caches) are intentionally reset as a way to fix issues

1. Boot: in to Safe Mode: [Hold Down: shift key upon boot].
  2. Log in: as same user
  3. Wait: 30 seconds
  4. Restart; your Mac
  5. Log in: as same user
  6. Perform another login

C. Restart your Router:

Power off your router for 30 seconds, and then power it back on. Try this once more.

D. Disable VPNs:

Are you connected to a VPN? If so, disconnect form it while logging in.

E. Try Later On:

There is likely an error connecting to Apple's servers. So, try this tomorrow, or later in the day. Utility work may be taking place down the street.

F. Single-Out this User:

What happens when you create a new Administrator user? Does this all go away? If so, it's an issue within your current user --and not it's the entire macOS.

G. Single-Out this Computer:

Try using a different computer for this.

H. Restart the Computer:

Shut down the computer, and then power it back up. Try once more

I. Restart the Router/Modem:

Power off the router/modem for 30 seconds(by unplugging the power source). Next, plug it back on, waiting if all the light to come in. Try once more.

J. Use a Home LAN:

There may not have been enough bandwidth in the network to do so, or it may have stalled. If using a public LAN, then you may have been using too many resources, and they kicked you off the server.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2023 8:12 AM in response to iggiv

iggiv Said:

"Can not download from the iCloud to my new PowerBook pro.: […\I found out I could not download the FOLDERS and got a message ‘The item couldn't be downloaded. Please check your internet connection, then try again.’[…]”.

———-

Getting Downloads to Work:

Works practical for all out there. There’s all sorts of ways to troubleshot this. Network connective seems to be the culprit here. So, I would start with the following.

Troubleshooting iCloud Logins:

A. Go here: If you can't Connect or Sign in to iCloud - Apple Support

B. Try Safe Mode:

In Safe Mode, login items do not run, and corrupt system files(i.e. caches) are intentionally reset as a way to fix issues

1. Boot: in to Safe Mode: [Hold Down: shift key upon boot].
  2. Log in: as same user
  3. Wait: 30 seconds
  4. Restart; your Mac
  5. Log in: as same user
  6. Perform another login

C. Restart your Router:

Power off your router for 30 seconds, and then power it back on. Try this once more.

D. Disable VPNs:

Are you connected to a VPN? If so, disconnect form it while logging in.

E. Try Later On:

There is likely an error connecting to Apple's servers. So, try this tomorrow, or later in the day. Utility work may be taking place down the street.

F. Single-Out this User:

What happens when you create a new Administrator user? Does this all go away? If so, it's an issue within your current user --and not it's the entire macOS.

G. Single-Out this Computer:

Try using a different computer for this.

H. Restart the Computer:

Shut down the computer, and then power it back up. Try once more

I. Restart the Router/Modem:

Power off the router/modem for 30 seconds(by unplugging the power source). Next, plug it back on, waiting if all the light to come in. Try once more.

J. Use a Home LAN:

There may not have been enough bandwidth in the network to do so, or it may have stalled. If using a public LAN, then you may have been using too many resources, and they kicked you off the server.

Jun 3, 2023 9:01 PM in response to iggiv

iggiv Said:

"Can not download from the iCloud to my new PowerBook pro.: [...]Now this will take for ever to down load as you can imagen. Do you have any suggestion? I can understand what is happening."

-------

Troubleshooting iCloud Download:

Download All of iCloud, the Search:

Try downloading all of iCloud to an external source. Once downloaded, search through it using the search bar on the top-right cornet of a Finder window.. Use my user tip: Getting a Quick and Direct "iCloud Drive-to-External Hard Drive" Download - User Tip

Jun 4, 2023 5:16 AM in response to TheLittles

Dear "TheLittles"

Thank you for your input and for taking the time.

It is Sunday and I am in need to start working. So I did it manually. Hopping your response helps someone else as it seam to be happening to others too.

I found out I could not download the FOLDERS and got a message "The item couldn't be downloaded. Please check your internet connection, then try again."

WHOEVER

If I click each individual doc it did download!!!

Unfortunately, this means OPENING all FOLDERS and clicking all FILES one by one, could not be multiple selections. And yes, this means opening 500 folders and clicking 20,000 to 30,000 files. The closing of the folders again.

I am happy to inform I am about 2,000 clicks away after expending all night last night but I have peace of mind I have the file downloaded which as I could see where the cause of some incompatibility.

Once more, Thank you very much for your input, and intend to help. Is deeply appreciated.

Jun 4, 2023 8:15 AM in response to iggiv

Thank you again.

I will save this response for the future.

I am happy to say I did it manually after many individual clicks on the file.

I wanted to make sure I had the latest iCloud files, it took almost a day but I have the file back on my computer.

Thank you for your response and time. Deeply appreciated.

So far I have only lost my SIGNATURE from Mail!!!! I do not thick I back them up.

Can not download from the iCloud to my new PowerBook pro.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.